Why become a member? ×

Reinstated bass players

oldslapper

Tiran Porter left the Doobies in 1980, replaced by Willie Weeks. The band split in 1982 and he rejoined when they reformed the original version of the band in 1987.

Ross Valory was sacked from Journey in 1985, replaced by Randy 'Dawg' Jackson. The band split in 1987 and he rejoined the reformed Journey in 1995... but was sacked again in 2020.... again replaced by Randy 'Dawg' Jackson!

44 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Craig Adams left and re-joined the Mission.

I can't remember his name but the original bassist is back with Ratt... problematic in that I am now the one who has publicly raised this!

Juan Croucier. He was in an early formation of Dokken before he joined Ratt in the early 80's...

I'll include myself in this category - was once kicked out of my own band over some petty squabble I can't even recall entirely.

I only found out I'd been sacked at a meeting to discuss my reinstatement some weeks later.

I missed about half a dozen gigs while another mate got brought in to cover.

World managed to keep on turning though luckily eh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, upside downer said:

Glen Matlock? Sacked by the Sex Pistols in early 1977, rejoined in 1996 for the Filthy Lucre reunion tour as his replacement Sid Vicious was somewhat unavailable having died in February 1979.

I think he was also considered as a hired hand on NMTB??? In the end Steve Jones recorded the bass, I think simplifying the parts a bit from what Matlock had.

Around the time of the Filthy Lucre tour Lydon said that much of the animosity between Matlock and Lydon was stoked by McClaren anyway. Now is that something we could imagine Malcolm doing?

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Paul McCartney, died 9th November 1966, replaced by a lookalike early in 1967.

Opinions vary as to whether or not this constitutes a reinstatement, but John Lennon apparently thought it was, so that's settled.

Next question, please?

In a similar vein, Nikki Sixx.

Replaced by Matthew Tripe for an album and a tour, then reinstated when he 'got well'.

Allegedly.

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I think he was also considered as a hired hand on NMTB??? In the end Steve Jones recorded the bass, I think simplifying the parts a bit from what Matlock had.

Around the time of the Filthy Lucre tour Lydon said that much of the animosity between Matlock and Lydon was stoked by McClaren anyway. Now is that something we could imagine Malcolm doing?

Yep, it's Jones on bass apart from the already recorded "Anarchy in the UK". They even put something 'subsonic' contributed by Sid underneath "Bodies"!

6 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Of course, having an inferior but more outrageous bass player suited McClaren just fine. One can wonder though, if, with Matlock remaining, they could have evolved out of that first phase like several of their contemporaries instead of imploding. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ZilchWoolham said:

Of course, having an inferior but more outrageous bass player suited McClaren just fine. One can wonder though, if, with Matlock remaining, they could have evolved out of that first phase like several of their contemporaries instead of imploding.

sorry for thread diversion..........

I don't think so. I think the basic issue was that Jones and Cook were kind of 'power pop' (coun't find better word, sorry) and Rotten wanted to do something experimental. Matlock was in the same mind-set as Cook/Jones.

I don't think Rotten would have done another album based on rock&roll riffs.

9 hours ago, Paul S said:

He actually played on all he studio recordings, too.  Such was younger and prettier so was the 'face' of the earlier live stuff and publicity material.  

If that's the reason, I'm definitely not going to look for a google image of Hugh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

sorry for thread diversion..........

I don't think so. I think the basic issue was that Jones and Cook were kind of 'power pop' (coun't find better word, sorry) and Rotten wanted to do something experimental. Matlock was in the same mind-set as Cook/Jones.

I don't think Rotten would have done another album based on rock&roll riffs.

Agree, listen to The Professionals (Cook & Jones) and it’s along the same theme as The Sex Pistols whereas PIL, aside from Public Image, well much more experimental.

On 13/10/2020 at 12:55, MacDaddy said:

In a similar vein, Nikki Sixx.

Replaced by Matthew Tripe for an album and a tour, then reinstated when he 'got well'.

Allegedly.

13 hours ago, joeystrange said:

Never heard that one before!

Doh! my bad Trippe, not Tripe.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/matthew-trippe-nikki-sixx-the-imitation-game

• Like 1