Why become a member? ×

Can I fit mono rail bridge pieces on a Danelectro Longhorn bass?

Baloney Balderdash

So I ponder on buying a Danelectro Longhorn bass, as I once owned the high end Jerry Jones clone of these basses and loved it (which unfortunately I was stupid enough to sell, they are out of production and I can't afford a used one, since these were pretty expensive basses, about 1200$ new, and are pretty rare to find for sale too), and actually quite like the tone the Denelctros got judging from YouTube videos.

However I am not too crazy about the one piece wood saddle, so I was wondering if the area beneath the bridge is covered by the solid block of wood, and I would be able to replace the stock bridge with 4 mono rail bridge pieces, as the string spacing is a couple of milimeters closer together than the standard 19mm?

I will properly also wire the two lipstick tube pickups in series, since the Jerry Jones I owned got that option on the pickup selector from stock and it was the only pickup setting I ever used.

12 minutes ago, itu said:

Why not? If the width of the individual bridges is thin enough, go ahead.

Because it is semi hollow, and I am wondering if the center block of wood it got inside the hollow body construction goes all through the middle of the bass and covers the width of the bridge.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Aren't Danos made from some sort of lightweight composite material rather than solid wood?

There's a possibility that it might not hold the screws too well on a different type of bridge.

@Maude  modded one a while back

He might have some insight into how feasible it is.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I am not qualified in any way, but a quick google shows there’s a specific replacement available anyway.  Secondly, though not the same model, this image shows there is a block under the bridge...

B3C930A2-41FF-4B63-8096-1A071415F9C2.png

33B92344-7420-4058-A8B4-1474FC9CDFCF.png

We have a winner!

• Haha 1

Yes, there's solid block underneath the bridge. There has to be to hold the original bridge. 

Personally I'd go with the similar styled bridge with the adjustable saddles for intonation to keep the looks the same. Having said that I've just kept the original and the intonation is all but bang on. There is actually quite a lot of adjustment with the original. The wooden saddle has a single central screw in a longitudinal slot, allowing movement up and down and twisting. I've just biased it so that the G and D are spot and the A very, very close and the E is a whisker out. But you're less likely to need the E string higher up. Unless you're doing chordal playing it's not noticeable at all really. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Paul S said:

There is a model out there somewhere with a better adjustable bridge.  I think it is called the Longhorn Pro.

I have a Pro, and yes it does have the all metal adjustable bridge. Less vintage correct but more sturdy and adjustable 😊

• Like 1