Why become a member? ×

NBD! I went on the internet and I found this (Sterling/Status content)

BassAgent

So I had incredible GAS for a fretless Stingray bass. I was looking for one when I found this oddball at the London Bass Gallery: Sterling Ray34 body, Kent Armstrong pickup, fretless Status neck. It was affordable and I lóve the look. So it arrived today and I absolutely love this bass. Great sound, preamp sounds great... I might replace the pickup with something more vintage sounding (any ideas? Nordstrand? Aguilar?) but I'm very happy so far. It's currently strung with D'Addario strings which I don't really like so I ordered some Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies which should arrive tomorrow. Super siked!

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, hubrad said:

Just seen this.. Excellent find!

So do the Status replacement necks fit the Ray3x basses nicely enough? crazily tempting as a project..

Yes, it states on the website that they do.  I fit a fretted Status neck to my USA SUB and it was as snug as a bug. 

Edited by 40hz
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 40hz said:

Yes, it states on the website that they do.  I fit a fretted Status neck to my USA SUB and it was as snug as a bug. 

Ah, just when you think Captain Temptation has gone outside and may be some time..

Edited by hubrad
  • Haha 1

On 29/03/2021 at 01:30, hubrad said:

Just seen this.. Excellent find!

So do the Status replacement necks fit the Ray3x basses nicely enough? crazily tempting as a project..

It fits like a glove. I am currently looking for a wood fretless neck though :) Not because the Status neck is bad; on the contrary, it's absolutely terrific, but I feel like I need wood ;) If it doesn't happen I'd still like this bass a lot. 

You can hear it with the Nordstrand pickup here (if the time stap doesn't work, start at 22:05).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

It fits like a glove. I am currently looking for a wood fretless neck though :) Not because the Status neck is bad; on the contrary, it's absolutely terrific, but I feel like I need wood ;) If it doesn't happen I'd still like this bass a lot. 

You can hear it with the Nordstrand pickup here (if the time stap doesn't work, start at 22:05).

Excellent!