Why become a member? ×

New amp and cab day - Trace Elliot content..

VTypeV4

50461182472_b204f22df6_h.jpgSmx 1020 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

50461016126_74a49b9565_h.jpgSmx 1020 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

This week I grabbed true bargain from the wonders of eBay..

Here we have a 400SMX, an 1153 & 2103H - classic Trace gear from the late '90s which still kicks a$$ more than 20 years later! I'll take it all to rehearsal later and see how it goes. I'd forgotten how good these things are despite weighing 10T..

• Like 9

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

The heads themselves aren't that heavy - 12-13kg? - get yourself some modern lightweight cabs are Robert's your auntie's live in lover.

BTW, great amp....

The 400 / 600 were pretty weighty - I'd estimate ~22 kilos. The more compact 250 / 300w heads were far more manageable in that 12 / 13kg as suggested.

As for the light cabs thing, if I was still doing 3 or four shows per week then absolutely, yes but I haven't done that for years.. I've seen there's more than a few on here using exactly as described with a couple of Barefaced (or similar) and their Trace head - I expect it works great. The lightest things I've got are a pair of SWR Goliath Jr III (of which are notably lighter and more compact than their TE counterparts) - I'm only 20 years behind the curve! The Trace cabs will likely become a permanent feature at my studio which is no bad thing, really as they still sound fine.

Thanks, it really is - having owned all one one point or another (300, 400 and 600), I'd say these are the jewel in the crown of the SMX series..

Since the world went bananas back in March, I've used the old Bassman rig a lot. As per many of my posts on here, I still love it's vintage charm, warm sound and soft delivery - it's a truly great rig.

By contrast, the SMX rig is something from what feels to be a different planet altogether - it's tight, defined and flexible with an unmistakable punch. I'd also forgotten just how much power these big MOSFET output stages seem to have! Suffice to say, I'm a happy camper. 😀

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I’ll always miss owning one of these. It was just brilliant and I’ve never felt as satisfied with my tone since. I ran one with two 4x10s and a bright box for years, used it in some massive venues on some awesome tours. It was just perfect. 
looking at the scratch on the front panel it could even be my old one! 

Edited by gafbass02