Why become a member? ×

NBD: Yamaha RBXJM2

Machines

Spotted on Facebook Marketplace yesterday at 9AM, in my house by 2PM same day - I do love spontaneous purchases

2004 model in moderate condition, got it for a good price and has cleaned up nicely. Has a couple of drill holes where a rudimentary ramp was fitted, but I'll get round to hiding them eventually.

Taking it to rehearsal tonight for a good blast ^_^.

JM2_1.thumb.jpg.c6cfefd31af0411950b19ffba998bfbc.jpg

JM2_2.thumb.jpg.01c8f00a5d1590aed0a791f561d96132.jpg

• Like 7

Very nice! I have the same one and really like it.

I always see the JM2's with black hardware though mine came with dark chrome hardware.  I prefer the look of the black, I wonder why mine is different? (I think mine is a late model, I bought it new from Thomann in 2007)

Edited by Grav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Nice! I’ve always been curious about these as my first ever bass was a very comfortable RBX774. Will be curious to hear your thoughts.

Well i've had two RBX775s and still have the one (defretted  and refinished). The feel is very familiar and the neck profile feels the same (extra string aside). It's a bit heavier than the 5 string however I think that's mostly the larger body at play.

Totally different sound though, the RBX77x is quite dark sounding, very midscooped with a glassy top end, the JM2 is Stingray territory and the 3 band EQ is much better than the treble only on the 77x (still not sure what the boost switch really does after 16 years).

1 hour ago, Grav said:

I always see the JM2's with black hardware though mine came with dark chrome hardware.  I prefer the look of the black, I wonder why mine is different? (I think mine is a late model, I bought it new from Thomann in 2007)

Yeah mine is April 2004 and it looks like they changed to the dark chrome for RBX774/5 too later apx 2006.

4 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Glad I’m not alone on that one! 

If you have a chance to lay down any recordings recordings of the JM2, they’d be very welcome in this thread!

Will do once I've got some new strings, couple of weeks. 

• Like 1