Why become a member? ×

Headless basses

ProfJames

@Reggaebass Last year I bought an Ibanez EHB1505 (five strings version) : it is a very light and ergonomic bass, very dynamic with more options than needed, excellent Nordstrand pickups and typical Ibanez Vari-mid preamp (very good, in fact). The neck is a pleasure to play and the workmanship is flawless. It's now gone to a friend as I have a long love/hate affair with fivers... But I am the problem, not the bass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Quick question, on the Hohner B2 Style basses, I’m guessing they don’t have a truss rod, can you still get a really low action on them 

They have a truss rod. Why would they not have a truss rod because they’re headless? 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Quick question, on the Hohner B2 Style basses, I’m guessing they don’t have a truss rod, can you still get a really low action on them 

I used to have a Hohner Jack headless bass, on that I was able to adjust for a decent low action, it was actually a very good bass ...purely IMHO...sounded great ( active elecs but you could switch them off if you wanted) I used it for gigs and it did the job well. I prefer the headless ones with a "body" myself, not keen on the little cricket bat things, again just IMHO .

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I used to have a Hohner Jack headless bass, on that I was able to adjust for a decent low action, it was actually a very good bass ...purely IMHO...sounded great ( active elecs but you could switch them off if you wanted) I used it for gigs and it did the job well. I prefer the headless ones with a "body" myself, not keen on the little cricket bat things, again just IMHO .

Agree with all above.....I have four headless..........a body helps...........

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Agree with all above.....I have four headless..........a body helps...........

Cheers, I just fancy one of the small ones for laying in the comfy chair and playing, I don’t really need it, I’ve got 13 at the moment and it’s an odd number 😁

On 19/04/2021 at 17:11, ProfJames said:

May as well show the rest.................................

Yamaha BX 1 Bass.jpg

axstar.jpg

I love the design of that Yamaha, it would fit in to almost any setting. 80s futuristic! The fitted case looks special too. 

My Hohner B2A came with a rectangular fitted case. It was like a vinyl fake leather with the Hohner logo where the bar across the H extended through the whole word, representative of the stick bass inside the case. But the best 80s kitsch thing about it? It didn't have clasps. Oh no. It had a zip!!! 

On 15/06/2021 at 17:18, Reggaebass said:

Yep, truss rod.

Mine probably has the lowest action of all my basses.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Have you got the B2 stubs, what’s your opinion 

Back in the day I twice took it and my Fender Performer along to a recording studio.

Both times sound engineer thought it was active beacuse of the huge output and insisted I used the Hohner over the performer.

My first band in 1987, through a borrowed amp and my 15" speaker cab. Ignore fretless, I soon switch to thw B2:

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

@Stub Mandrel Wow, a rare all original vintage white Deathburger ! And one finger picking, ... just like me. 😎

No longer either of those I'm afraid! It's very decorated and I use lots of fingers now 🙂

I am tempted to strip it back and wrap it in Carbon Fibre viny - but it's a bit fo an awkward shape.