Why become a member? ×

SELLERS REMORSE

TheGreek

I decided I was going to list a bass today and this thread is really not helping me choose which one 🥴.

I think the only one I've let go that I wish I had kept was a white 4001. It had a 'few issues' that at that time I didn't really know how to resolve. It's a mistake I have not repeated thus far.

Squier Precision, one of the Korean made ones from 1991. The neck looked lovely, it was like flame maple.

Fender Rumble 500 combo, probably the best sounding set up I've had.

Almost forgot. Hohner B2A, I sold with a Peavey Basic 60. The Basic 60 was worth nothing really but I sold both for a stupid low figure.

Edited by Marvin

5 hours ago, Drax said:

Can you remorse over 'factory made' kit you can just rebuy? Maybe.

I reckon it depends on whether the thing you had was a particularly good example, and you risk re-buying one that's only average. Probably matters more with instruments than it does amps and electronics.

I went one better with a Sterling Ray35 which I traded in for a proper StingRay 5. In the shop I managed to convince myself that it was a massive step up, but then a few months of playing it made me realise that the Ray35 was a much, much nicer sounding instrument, and what I'd bought at great additional expense was actually just nice woodgrain. I've played other 35s since and in doing so realised just how nice the one I had was. Should have kept it.

Sold the Ray at the usual kind of loss you experience from new, as it was just a monumental disappointment and I wanted it out of my sight!

Most regret parting with the fretless P in the mid 80’s to pay rent deposit. One of the first early 70’s run. Played and sounded fat.

I wish I hadn’t parted with the red trim 4x8 and 1x15 mini cabs that were “not Ashdown”. Portable, sounded great and looked good. Sold to fund something trendy on here which didn’t stay long. 
Would buy back in a heart beat. 

The high speed revolving door of “Hotel GAS” is difficult to extract oneself from I find.
Having said that, current fretless P has been in my possession for over 18 months and is used daily, and Ampeg rig is 9 months old, so perhaps I’m doing better these days? 

• Like 1

On average I sell one bass per decade and I've only just sold one so I'm safe for a while, but I've got serious non buyers remorse at the moment. 

I saw an absolutely gorgeous late 60s Eko Florentine guitar for sale not too far away, debated for too long as I don't need it, but I love quirky, vintage designs and this has it in spadefuls. Anyway it sold and now I can't have it I really want it. Yes I am like a spoilt child. 🙂

xtIkrLt.jpg

• Like 1

I've mentioned here more than a few times over the years how much I regretted selling my 1986 'Just-Ernie Ball' Stingray. Great memories of good bands and gigs we played together. My yoof, basically. Kicked myself on and off for years about that.

Picked up a 2003 'Ray this year which is so much better though. The 86 had the most beautiful flame to the neck but it needed constant adjusting. Really fussy about temperature changes. The '03 has no figuring to the neck whatsoever but is solid as a rock (go figure 😉). The 6 bolt neck and wheelie truss rod adjuster are a revelation. Plus I prefer the 3 band to my old 2.

Found the right tool for the job finally once I let go of all that sentimentally.

Bought it online so a lucky score thankfully!

Edited by miles'tone

Ditherer's remorse. For many years, hanging up in a musical instrument shop in Croydon was a Wandré Rock Oval (IIRC) Guitar. It wasn't in the best condition and had no price on it. But it looked interesting. By the time I had found out what it was and decided to ask how much they wanted for it and if necessary make an informed offer it had gone. I wonder who has it now?

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Ditherer's remorse. For many years, hanging up in a musical instrument shop in Croydon was a Wandré Rock Oval (IIRC) Guitar. It wasn't in the best condition and had no price on it. But it looked interesting. By the time I had found out what it was and decided to ask how much they wanted for it and if necessary make an informed offer it had gone. I wonder who has it now?

oh yeah - plenty of this - the ones I remember most were the 8 string Rickenbackers that I didn't buy when a shop in Denmark Street had two of them on the wall (didn't like the colour, figured there'd be more options in due course...20 years later and never seen another one in the flesh)

Ooooo, non-bass-related remorse? Don't get me started...I owned and sold three Kawasaki 750 Turbos over the years, and missed every one of them. I'd have another like a shot, but prices have long since gone over the feasibility threshold...same with RD350LCs...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Ooooo, non-bass-related remorse? Don't get me started...I owned and sold three Kawasaki 750 Turbos over the years, and missed every one of them. I'd have another like a shot, but prices have long since gone over the feasibility threshold...same with RD350LCs...

eeek please dont get me started on two stroke yams....... yeah deffo sellers remorse there

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 12:26, Dad3353 said:

My first electric guitar, late '60s, a Thinline Hofner President, Florentine cutaway, just like this one...

Xm2iWQI.jpg

. Sold to buy a Burns Bison (madness..!), which didn't stay long. I've other (fine...) Hofners, but a Thinline President like the above I'd buy again instantly. A joy to play (which I didn't realise at the time, daft stupido that I was...), but, alas, rather a rare beast, so difficult to replace. Anyone got one going spare, by any chance..? 9_9

What was the burns bison like to play

4 hours ago, Fil1ip said:

What was the burns bison like to play

At the time, the 'fashion' was for skinny strings; the Bison got set up with a set of '7's. These are roughly equivalent to stringing up with cobwebs. Added to that my innate tendency to not be a very good player, and having learnt what little I knew from Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar method, it would be unfair to give any review of the guitar's potential. It may suffice to say that this potential was not realised under my hands. Upon acquisition it was a pastel green shade; I sprayed it bright canary yellow (and made not too bad a job of it, either...). The neck on the President is rather more on the 'chunky' side; the Bison boasted one of the skinniest necks of its time. Three pick-ups, but through my modest Watkins Westminster, not a lot of tonal difference. I didn't keep it long (what on Earth was I thinking of when I even considered such a guitar..?). I traded it for a Vox organ (for my then g/f to play; didn't spark her enthusiasm either...), and took up drums, myself. There, for once, I made the right choice. :|

I now own four Fender-alike bitsas that collectively cost me less than £1500 to put together over a few years (1xP, 1xP/J FL, 1xJ, 1xJ FL) They are very high quality instruments and I'd rate them all at good Fender MIA standard or above (especially when you consider that they have Warmoth and Musikraft necks). I would like to still have my old 4001c64, I would like to still have my old Modulus Flea, but having sold so many basses, I'm now quite happy with what I have. Moreover, I can't sell any of them really (I'm kinda trying with one) because their value on paper is way way way lower than their value to me as instruments.

So, in short, I have no seller's remorse at all.

Surprisingly.  

• Like 1

I think the more you buy and sell, the less bothered you get. It was a great thing to sell lots in the past - even if for necessity. I just remember that band with that bass etc and move on.

Theres nothing i had that I really wished I had back. Perhaps my 1990s usa precision, but the new player I have is just as good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, la bam said:

I think the more you buy and sell, the less bothered you get.

I disagree. I have loads of basses I wish I hadn't sold and could have back.

• VC Fretless
  • Status Kingbass
  • ACG Harlot SC
  • GB Rumour
  • '96 Musicman Ray
  • Jaydee 11 Supernatural 

...and I've no doubt that I'll regret selling my old green Overwater which I sold, bought back and sold again recently - even though it spend most of it's life in a case.

• Like 1

There are none that i really struggle without - a few that I miss, but not enough to replace them.

I pined a bit for a lovely Sandberg TT4 that I'd sold too hastily, but when it came back up for sale on here a few years ago, I didn't buy it back.

I miss my Epi Jack Casady, my PRS Se Bernie Marsden, my old 1980s Charvel Model 1B bass, but i'll live without them easily enough.

The ride was fun at the time.