Why become a member? ×

SELLERS REMORSE

TheGreek

I know that we've all done it - bought gear, fell in love with it but for some reason felt that we needed to move it on - only to kick ourselves when we sell it. (Add your own list.)

I did this recently with a G&L M2000 - replaced it with a G&L Jazz which I moved on shortly after, replaced with a SB2 which I love. I've just had the opportunity to get my hands on another M2000 - hope it doesn't turn out that it's a case of reminiscing. 

Can you remorse over 'factory made' kit you can just rebuy? Maybe. Cort Jeff Berlin 4 was very lovely bass to play, do miss that. Squared off with the knowledge I could just re-buy another one day.

Vintage gear though.. occassinal pangs for the '72 Jazz. Focus on the £3.5K and less sad, but wish it was still on the rack.. 

No. None.

I've whittled my collection from over 40 down to 5 basses (soon to be 4). It would be nice to still have most of the ones I sold, but I have recognise the fact that a lot of them were bought simply to own rather than to use. However owning lots of instruments has allowed my to work out exactly what I like about the ones I'm keeping and why the ones I sold didn't quite "do it" for me.

• Like 4

My first electric guitar, late '60s, a Thinline Hofner President, Florentine cutaway, just like this one...

Xm2iWQI.jpg

. Sold to buy a Burns Bison (madness..!), which didn't stay long. I've other (fine...) Hofners, but a Thinline President like the above I'd buy again instantly. A joy to play (which I didn't realise at the time, daft stupido that I was...), but, alas, rather a rare beast, so difficult to replace. Anyone got one going spare, by any chance..? 9_9

• Like 1

My Yamaha SB-35.  Moved it on when I started to play 5 strings and sold off nearly all my 4s.  it is most unlikely I'll ever find another one of these.  I did pester the guy I sold it to but, understandably, he doesn't want to part with it.

sb351.jpg

I sold a natural finish Music Man Stingray HS on here almost 3 years back. I had it for 9 years from new and it was awesome; I just really needed to raise cash quickly for my wedding. It's the only bass I've sold that I deeply regretted. A guy in Belgium has it now. However, I miss it but my back and shoulders miss it less so 😉.

IMG_0567.thumb.JPG.f63dbd92700133d43abd0431ac06d268.JPG

Edited by EdLib-3
Picture added.

Modulus Q6 made in 1991, serial number was very early, no truss rod, was 1991 I believe. It had a Zebrano top, was a bit battered but close to, if not the best bass I’ve ever owned. Unbelievably I think I paid £800 for it. It wasn’t up for sale at the Gallery but another customer was about to put it up for sale. I almost had his hand off! I used it on quite a few studio recordings and it sounded fantastic. If I ever found it again I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

... I have recognise the fact that a lot of them were bought simply to own rather than to use. However owning lots of instruments has allowed my to work out exactly what I like about the ones I'm keeping and why the ones I sold didn't quite "do it" for me.

That's it. Very well put 

• Like 2

My dark blue quilt Spector Euro NS-CRFM.

Gorgeous looking, playing & sounding bass. Sold it probably about 7 or 8 years ago as I needed to raise funds quickly for something else. Would like to get it back now....Someone on here bought it but I can't remember who...?! Maybe @Bassulike66?

Edited by cetera

No remorse. I'm very lucky, I have never had to sell any gear because I ran out of cash, so everything was sold because I found something to replace it that was a better fit.

There might be the odd moment when I could name a couple of basses and an amp which I would use if I still owned them, but as I said, I've got better gear now so, don't look back, forwards only.

• Like 1

Not really

There are some instruments and amps that I'd like to still have, but from a "I'd love to still own it" perspective, not from a "I really miss playing it" angle - my old Marshall Super Bass II head and 8 x 10 cab, and my Marshall Super Lead II combo spring to mind, as well as my old Wals, and a Gibson Les Paul Smartwood that had a great neck on it (but always felt a little under powered and I chopped it in for a full fat version)

And a couple of things that I sold on for good reason at the time, but have since massively increased in value (for instance, my first Wal - bought new for £1,500, sold at a loss for less than grand a couple of years later - I never loved it and much prefer my new Wal...but I'd like to be able to sell it for a decent price now) and one of the original Jimmy Page signature Les Pauls from 1997 or 1998 - great neck, sounded dreadful, bought second hand for £1,200, again sold at a loss a couple of years later...currently worth about £4.5k

Then the other day I found this picture of me playing Wal #2 - bought second hand from Dean Garcia (lovely bloke, great bass player), and sold at a profit to fund my current Wal (#3) - again, never loved it like I love my new one...but just look at it!!!  Look at it!!

94628110_Walonstageedit.thumb.jpg.e94f225b36342a804a8394841bec56ab.jpg

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

My first electric guitar, late '60s, a Thinline Hofner President, Florentine cutaway, just like this one...

Xm2iWQI.jpg

. Sold to buy a Burns Bison (madness..!), which didn't stay long. I've other (fine...) Hofners, but a Thinline President like the above I'd buy again instantly. A joy to play (which I didn't realise at the time, daft stupido that I was...), but, alas, rather a rare beast, so difficult to replace. Anyone got one going spare, by any chance..? 9_9

Hold on, just going to check down the back of the sofa... :)

• Thanks 1

I bought a Travis Bean TB2000 bass in the early 80s, #222.  It had an issue with the fingerboard wood lifting off the aluminium neck, so I had an ebony board put on, but for some reason it suffered deadspots in the F#/G/G# position on the E-string. 

I kind of fell out of love with it and traded it in at ABC Music in Addlestone, Surrey.

Amazingly, it cropped up on the Travis Bean resource a few years back.  After I traded it, it didn't stray very far from Addlestone and is now in the hands of a chap called Julian who lives in Oxford (he bought it on eBay).  He offered to let me use it at a gig I was doing at the Bullingdon.