Why become a member? ×

*TRADED+CASH* Sadowsky Jazzbass 5 NYC 1994 Daphne/Sonic blue
£2700
Hilversum, The Netherlands

will4bass

Here is a quite unique old Sadowsky J5. This beautiful light blue thing bas been played and modified but it remains to have that Sadowsky DNA all over the bass.

Admitted, to some the adding of 2 ‘period correct’ Bartolini pickups may be an acquired taste but with a three way toggle switch per pickup it ads very musical tonal variations. 

The great early ‘94 maple neck, these necks are special really (Anderson?). The finish seems original to me, at some points it is becoming a bit greenish: same discoloring that happens with old blue Fenders.

The neck seems to be refinished in a yellowish clear coating at some point. It’s done professionally. The pickguard seems custom made, don’t know by who.

The bass has signs of playingwear all over but no abuse: generally speaking it looks pretty good. 

Most important is that it sounds and plays awesome, it is light (unchambered!) and well balanced. Other than mentioned modifications the bass seems 100% original.

In the early nineties these Bartolini’s, Gotoh tuners and bridges were the ones that were used by Roger and they still work perfectly fine. The Gotoh bridge allows for afjusting the string spacing which I find to be a nice feature since I like the spacing to be just a little less  than 19mm. The truss rod and the electronics work flawless as well and the frets have enough life in them for many years to come. The bass comes with an original Sadowsky soft case or Sadowsky gig bag. 

IMG_8425.jpg

Edited by will4bass
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't wanna separate the player and collector thing. Just pointing that this is a really rare one, maybe one of a kind.  And a really flashy colour,   not sure I'd use this one on stage, however sound is primaly for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SzunaP said:

not sure I'd use this one on stage, however sound is primaly for me.

I certainly would! If the sound and feel is right, I see no reason to use the best tool at hand, be it a rehearsal or a gig (whenever they start again...).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noise_art said:

Stunning bass!

It is. I sell it reluctantly.. really.. no sales talk.. I do so just because I have another 'oldie but goldie' which has quite a bit more playing wear etc. so I thought the blue beauty is the better one to offer for sale.

IMG_1050.jpeg

7 hours ago, will4bass said:

It is. I sell it reluctantly.. really.. no sales talk.. I do so just because I have another 'oldie but goldie' which has quite a bit more playing wear etc. so I thought the blue beauty is the better one to offer for sale.

IMG_1050.jpeg

Wow,  that would be much interested I think!!  Lovely!! What year built, S/N does it have?

Both are beautiful basses. But I am also much more into the quilted maple top one too. That one is visually amazing.

But this is a thread for the sonic blue Sado, which is anything but a bad bass by any means. Take a free bump for a great axe at a great price.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cascanicoff said:

Both are beautiful basses. But I am also much more into the quilted maple top one too. That one is visually amazing.

But this is a thread for the sonic blue Sado, which is anything but a bad bass by any means. Take a free bump for a great axe at a great price.

Thanks Cascanicoff! Both basses are great players. The amber one is a tiny bit more ‘scooped’ whereas the blue one is tiny bit more mid-focused with the outside pickups activated, which is a fair comparison. Maybe I should offer both for sale and see what happens... or I should keep both... anything goes!!

• Like 1

• MB1 locked this topic