Why become a member? ×

27" Short Scale 5 String

Jabba_the_gut

On 06/09/2021 at 02:03, The Crusher said:

Hi Jabba,

A friend asked me today if I could make him a 5 string short scale bass. I've successfully made a

few 6 string custom bodies but no bass' yet. 

I've got everthing I need to build 6 string fret boards, including a nifty heavy steel slotting template

from Stew Mac for 25 inch and 25.5 inch scale. I use this with a crosscut sled on my table saw.

Please help if you can. How are you cutting your 27 inch scale fret board?

Thank you in advance, Matt

@The CrusherHi Matt - apologies - I completely missed this reply. I got a 27"/29" slotting template from G&W (I think - I'll check and repost if it anything different). These slotting templates work with my Stew Mac slotting jig just fine. You might even get close using a standard bass template and skipping the first 7" worth of frets if that makes sense.

Cheers

Jez

• 8 months later...

Blows the dust off this post......

Various things have caused me to have paused building for a bit but hopefully I can continue and finish a few builds I started last year.

It looks like I've rounded the body since I rounded the body edges since my last post. I also got round to installing some LEDS in the fretboard - I've taken the feedback from previous builds and made them not so blinding!!

Pv94Sqf.jpg

AmuZjbT.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Blows the dust off this post......

Various things have caused me to have paused building for a bit but hopefully I can continue and finish a few builds I started last year.

It looks like I've rounded the body since I rounded the body edges since my last post. I also got round to installing some LEDS in the fretboard - I've taken the feedback from previous builds and made them not so blinding!!

Pv94Sqf.jpg

AmuZjbT.jpg

That is a very yes indeed.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Owen said:

Sorry, I have to ask what the issue was. I have looked but cannot see. My wife has suggested this is a problem in general for me. 

The double dots are on the fifteenth fret instead of the 12th 

image.jpeg.6f76b44044e7e99af5f542ec8e52ff00.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Bunion said:

The double dots are on the fifteenth fret instead of the 12th 

image.jpeg.6f76b44044e7e99af5f542ec8e52ff00.jpeg

Ah. Yep. Awkward.

I bought a 2nds LH Harley Benton Tele for £13 once because the double dots are on the 13th. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update. LED issue sorted - won't make that mistake again!! Holes drilled for tuners, headstock edges rounded, neck sculpted and sanding sealer put on the neck and body.

kfPgDXI.jpg

oU2Siad.jpg

KlwmrKp.jpg

g3TtYDh.jpg

Next task is to make a truss rod cover and nut and to install the frets.

• Like 6

Lovely 😍

Scrolling with my phone I accidentally stopped between two photographs such that it looked (a bit) like one continuous image.  And thought what the hell is that thing behind the headstock for??

Screenshot_20220829-155950_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b71ce9c60e00e31093eb7dc5022d5bc.jpg

:facepalm:

Edited by Richard R
  • Haha 2

And a little more done....

Before I start applying the final finish, I wanted to make sure everything fitted together properly so any adjustments could be made without creating more work! I've fitted threaded inserts for the pickup screws again - just something about them that I like but a minor detail.

The strings for this bass are custom made by Newtone strings, this set is .105 to .025 so tuning E to C.

pbMnhPW.jpg

CuQEZf7.jpg

H5LY1mq.jpg

I'm quite pleased how the tuner arrangement has worked out - the headstock isn't much bigger than the four string versions I've made before. I will use this headstock layout again on a longer scale 5 string at some point soon. I've played it acoustically and I'm really liking it! The pickup is and EMG 40TW so has a pull switch on the volume to split the coil and give a bit more variation to the sound for a single pickup bass.

Next task is to fit the other hardware and electrics so I can finish the body. The neck then needs the frets dressing and I need to make a nut. No too far off so should be ready for the SW Bass Bash.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

And a little more done....

pbMnhPW.jpg

The bass is fabulous, of couse, but just look at the workshop organisation! A bass hanger in front of the toolbard and everything in place!

8 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

No too far off so should be ready for the SW Bass Bash.

If I can't arrange legitimate swaps then I may just log in and hack the church rotas so I can be there!

• 2 weeks later...

Just the truss rod cover to sort - all other jobs done!!

Electrics all sorted - not the world's biggest cavity and no spare height to work with for the EMG push/pull pot but it fitted!!

breZ2lI.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures of it next to my MarkBass 801 - makes for a nice little mobile set-up!!

YupREce.jpg

C2KVIBN.jpg

I'll take some proper pictures when I've finished the truss rod cover.

Cheers

• Like 10