Why become a member? ×

HB solid bass heads

Quilly

Most of the weight comes from the power supply. You can have a class D amp with a conventional power supply (why would you ?) or an AB amp with a switchmode (lightweight) power supply.

Having said that this looks too heavy to be anything but a conventional supply with a heavy mains transformer and is likely to be class AB. I'm a little confused by Harley Benton's positioning of amps and speakers at the moment. Price wise this amp is in competition with the Bugera which doesn't give 2000W but does give 7-800W and has a good reputation from acual users, the Peavey Minimax plus less powerful but capable offerings from TC, Trace Elliott, Mark Bass. If I wanted a backup amp I'd go for these smaller and lighter amps and save the body building for my main amp. In fact I bought the Peavey and it is so good I use it as my main amp.

Unless these things sound amazing, and they might of course, I'd go for a more glamorous brand which would fetch a better used price if you want to move it on.

Only the sudden unexpected demise of my car has prevented me from trying some of the new HB stuff. That and I'm already committed to buying a couple of things. But one day I'll probably be back telling everyone how great they are, and folk will shake their heads , smile indulgently and go on buying expensive labels instead.  Which is absolutely their perogative and fine by me. Not that my opinion matters.

Carry on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stewblack said:

But one day I'll probably be back telling everyone how great they are, and folk will shake their heads , smile indulgently and go on buying expensive labels instead.  Which is absolutely their perogative and fine by me. Not that my opinion matters.

Carry on.

Or someone will buy one of those 'Expensive' Brands and tell every one how great they are, and You will shake your head, Smile indulgently and go on buying one of those 'Cheap' Brands😀 Of course everyone's opinion matters [including yours] to someone somewhere sometime.

2 hours ago, Nebadon2000 said:

Or someone will buy one of those 'Expensive' Brands and tell every one how great they are, and You will shake your head, Smile indulgently and go on buying one of those 'Cheap' Brands😀 Of course everyone's opinion matters [including yours] to someone somewhere sometime.

Ha! Good point. I just find my life becomes less stressful the less I try to inflict me and my ideas onto others.

Catch myself doing it still sometimes though..