Why become a member? ×

Best solid state head you've had

la bam

Ok  so recently weve had big threads on the best class d heads people have used and the best all valve heads people have used. So, let's complete it with the best solid state heads people have used (in their opinion) and why. Pre valves etc accepted.

Eden WT550. Just plug in a play. The natural tone with everything flat is fantastic.

Military engineering that is utterly bomb proof. There used to be some pictures on Eden's website of a WT550 that was in a studio fire. It looked ready for the bin. All the control knobs had melted but they switched it on and it still worked.

• Like 5

Tech21 dUg Ultrabass - does everything with clarity, clean through too overdrive incorporating a nice ‘tube’ type tone, 2 channels mixed and the ‘distortion’ channel can be set just to be crystal clear and clean to augment the lows.

Form Factor Bi1000 is a wonderfully articulate amp, clean, musical EQ but does not really colour the sound, can make other amps sound like fisher price alternatives

Hartke LH1000 - it’s a beast, I loved the Hartke/Fender tone stack - simple and it executes 

Genzler Magellan 800 - best organic drive sound on an amp on the market, beautiful piece of kit.

For me dUg amp rules them all

Edited by Cuzzie

13 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Being pedantic, I believe that class D is solid state.

Regardless, the Little Mark II is still the best SS amp I've used, considering price, size, power and EQ. It'll only make clean sounds, but its flat response makes it great for modelling dirty amps too. If mine ever goes down, I'll be replacing it with another Little Mark of some sort. I'd certainly look into the ones with a blendable valve pre, but if that didn't work for me, I wouldn't be dissapointed with an standard LMIII.

Yes I thing the OP meant class A/B.

Just now, Lozz196 said:

I’m not that clued up on Solid State, but if the Ashdown ABM600 is SS then that’s my fave. Very powerful, amazing flexibility due to the 9 band eq, and not too weighty.

As far as I know that is class A/B with Mosfet output stages like the old Trace amps.

Mesa M6 - still outshines every D class head I've owned.

Honourable mention to the Peavey Tour 450 I had when I started out as a newbie and well before I could appreciate the build and tonal quality it delivered.

Edited by Al Krow