Why become a member? ×

Teddy Pendergrass Documentary

Mykesbass

Just watched this - always loved Teddy's voice, even if some of the lyrical content is a bit OTT. Was also aware of his accident, but not quite the magnitude of it. And as for his appearance at Live Aid, OK, so musically not the finest thing you'll ever see, but brought a tear to my eye.

Will be on I Player shortly: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ngdj

• Like 2

One of my favourite singers...Although I have seen the documentary before, I watched it again. He was certainly a class act. 

All those 'Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes' tunes he was involved with are absolute classics. (Not forgetting the studio musicians and arrangements as well..!!).

The band should have been called..."Teddy and the Blue Notes"...:D

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lowdown said:

One of my favourite singers...Although I have seen the documentary before, I watched it again. He was certainly a class act. 

All those 'Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes' tunes he was involved with are absolute classics. (Not forgetting the studio musicians and arrangements as well..!!).

The band should have been called..."Teddy and the Blue Notes"...:D

Missed it first time around. He did have one of the all time great voices, up there with Otis for me.

The Harold Melvin thing must have confused a lot of people over the years 😁

Oh, and another all time classic Sunday morning,  South East London record shop favourite. Sold a few copies of Joy and TP back in the day!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Oh, and another all time classic Sunday morning,  South East London record shop favourite. Sold a few copies of Joy and TP back in the day!

Funny you mention that. My two boys were doing some research on the area I'm from and they showed me this...

:D 👍

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/a1-records.html#

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Funny you mention that. My two boys were doing some research on the area I'm from and they showed me this...

:D 👍

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/a1-records.html#

Yes, love that page. Worked with all the family in those photographs, and still friends with Ray who I worked with when he released the Gipsy Kings albums in the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

Also shows what a wonderful manager he had in Shep Gordon. Class act. There’s a great documentary on him too. 

The bit about his ability to take more drugs than his artists?! 

Sign of a good manager is their longevity. He is still with Alice Cooper.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

The bit about his ability to take more drugs than his artists?! 

Sign of a good manager is their longevity. He is still with Alice Cooper.

Funnily enough my rule was if the manager was taking more drugs than us we’re in trouble! :)

The way that Shep looked after Mike Myers when he had a breakdown was very kind too. 

• Haha 1

Teddy was a magnificent soul singer, right up there with the all-time  greats like Marvin Gaye , Otis Redding ect.  It's a shame he doesn't get quite the same recognition, because during his own  lifetime he was an icon  in America . Such a stylish man, too. 

If you watch live footage of him at his peak both he and his band were off-the-scale in terms of tightness. A class act.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Such a stylish man, too. 

A class act.

Something that really came across in the documentary - very enigmatic, huge stage presence, even when he wasn't doing very much. Just facial expressions alone could be enough.