Why become a member? ×

5 Tracks that prove John Entwistle is a genius

TheGreek

I guess Townsend was a songwriter first and foremost...... with rhythm and lead guitar very much second and third  respectively - thus happy to allow John do that 'lead bass' role when he showed the inclination/ability to do so.

I'm not sure the isolation does much for John though - his lines were already clearly audible in the final mix, and they just sound a bit worse on their own.

For some other player who made good lines but was buried:  I can see why the isolated tracks can prove something.

11 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I'm not sure the isolation does much for John though - his lines were already clearly audible in the final mix, and they just sound a bit worse on their own.

But they remind us mortals that what might not sound great solo’d can sound amazing in the mix :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheGreek said:

. . . . . . John Entwistle is a genius. . . . . .

He probably was, although he isn't my kind of bass player. I'm not a fan of lead bass. What I do like is how he totally changed bass playing and how people thought about the role of the bass. He created an evolution in bass amps, cabs and strings that resonates today. He even forced change on guitarists. Pete Townsend had to get Marshall to build the first 810 cab and then 412 stacks just to be heard above the bass, and single handedly launched a million cases of tinnitus.

I had several chances to see The Who at The Marquee in Wardour Street, but I passed. Now I wish I'd gone along at least once.