Why become a member? ×

Anyone like saxes?

T-Bay

Just gave my pal a Martin C melody sax!!!  STill own and play a Martin Master Typewriter alto from 1931......in museum condition and original case......no pinky tables!  All keys are pearls.........

Check out this guy.........no electronics, circular breathing on a Supa Bass.................

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I had to dislodge the reed using a spoon.

The mouthpiece has now been subjected to a soaking in fairy liquid and then another soaking in Milton anti-bac.

I'm still tempted to throw it away and get another one.

I must have 30 odd mouthpieces I need to sell or get rid of, will shout you if I find a spare Yamaha.......no charge

• Like 1

Just now, T-Bay said:

Don’t suppose there are any C melody ones in there? (Guessing not)

Will check.  I had a Martin C Melody and it came with the original mouthpiece............not sure if I still have it but if it is there you will be welcome to it.  Going to check at the weekend so will let you know.  If not you should go onto www.cafesaxophone.com excellent site for sax players, loads of help is offered - it is the sax equivalent of Basschat

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Will check.  I had a Martin C Melody and it came with the original mouthpiece............not sure if I still have it but if it is there you will be welcome to it.  Going to check at the weekend so will let you know.  If not you should go onto www.cafesaxophone.com excellent site for sax players, loads of help is offered - it is the sax equivalent of Basschat

Thanks! That would be fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 20:36, ProfJames said:

Hi mate, did you have any luck on the mouthpiece? The sax arrived today and I am totally smitten. The pads are nowhere near as bad as expected. I tried my tenor mouthpiece and got a tune out of it but intonation was out. It needs a couple of new springs and a damn good service but I may be able to save the pads with a good feed. That would be useful as I can’t find a uk supplier of white/ cream leather ones.

11 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Hi mate, did you have any luck on the mouthpiece? The sax arrived today and I am totally smitten. The pads are nowhere near as bad as expected. I tried my tenor mouthpiece and got a tune out of it but intonation was out. It needs a couple of new springs and a damn good service but I may be able to save the pads with a good feed. That would be useful as I can’t find a uk supplier of white/ cream leather ones.

I need to go back to my pal's lockup again as I am missing a box with mpcs and bass pedals, etc.  So not yet.  However, woud recommend that you contact Dawkes woodwind in Maidenhead as they have a professor of sax and mouthpieces (true!) who is based there.  Great advice, good people I think his name is Prof Anton Weinberg....give them a call.......I will still look but I am not sure when I can get there t check...reliant on a pal...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

I need to go back to my pal's lockup again as I am missing a box with mpcs and bass pedals, etc.  So not yet.  However, woud recommend that you contact Dawkes woodwind in Maidenhead as they have a professor of sax and mouthpieces (true!) who is based there.  Great advice, good people I think his name is Prof Anton Weinberg....give them a call.......I will still look but I am not sure when I can get there t check...reliant on a pal...

No problem, thanks mate. There are a couple of types available from the states so might give one of them a try. The tenor one is good enough for me to check leaks etc but is about a semitones out over the full range.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

No problem, thanks mate. There are a couple of types available from the states so might give one of them a try. The tenor one is good enough for me to check leaks etc but is about a semitones out over the full range.

Another price direct from Windcraft (owned by Dawkes)............https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windcraft-FAXX-C-Melody-Mouthpiece-Plastic-USA/372108969768?epid=1949893834&hash=item56a36c4728:g:gWgAAOSwm~lfj7lG

• Like 1