Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Barefaced Super12 (with tweeter if biamped) - now £525
£575
Teignmouth, South Devon

MrTea

Temporarily up for sale as I've got my eye on a Big Baby 2 which may work better for me as I'm playing more upright at the moment. 

Not much needs to be said about these - phenomenal cabs and light (around 17kgs I believe). This cab has the tweeter but no crossover installed. I believe it was a custom order to be used biamped. When I bought it I contacted Alex at Barefaced who reassured you could run it fine as a standard Super 12 which is what I've been doing. 

Comes with the roqsolid cover as photographed. A little wear to both the cab and cover but I'm pretty good condition. 

Local collection only I'm afraid from Teignmouth, South Devon. I may withdraw this if the cab I've got my eye on sells first. Alternatively if you want to trade a Big Baby 2 then get in touch. 

I may regret this! It really is a great cab!!!

PXL_20201010_132320188.jpg

PXL_20201010_132331697.jpg

PXL_20201010_132400040.jpg

PXL_20201010_132345838.jpg

PXL_20201010_132300300.jpg

Edited by MrTea
  • Like 3

Not sure how many of these ‘bi-amp’ custom super 12’s Alex made but that certainly looks like my old cab :) !

I only sold it (to Luke) when band split .. I powered this with a GK700RB-II (hence the bi-amp / lack of crossover) .. it pushed so much air it actually moved backwards on laminate floor !

Reason I think it was mine is the black hardware (chrome corners / handle) which I had powder coated black lol ... should’ve kept it.

Edited by sifi2112

I'm afraid I don't know much about the history of it but did buy it here a while back. I wouldn't be selling it if it wasn't for the opportunity to try a Big Baby which feels like it should suit my current needs better. It's an impulse sale really and I'm still not 100% sure!

I'm a little curious about the bi-amping and crossover.  The tweeter/horn unit in the top right will be wired into the general circuitry inside the cabinet, this with extend the frequency range of the cabinet (I would imagine that there's also some kind of limiter/cap in the circuit so as to eliminate any risk of blowing the unit). 

Next, bi-amping; only one input socket, so this would lead to the cabinet being exclusively a mono input.  @Wolverinebass and I had a very long conversation with Alex a few years back and he was very much against making bi-amp capable cabinets (effectively two independently operated 1x12s that could be bridged for mono).

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

...Next, bi-amping; only one input socket, so this would lead to the cabinet being exclusively a mono input...

Speakon sockets have more wiring options than jack sockets, some of which would allow, potentially, one socket to serve two separate speakers. PA cabs are often wired in this way, having one four-way cable for two circuits.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Speakon sockets have more wiring options than jack sockets, some of which would allow, potentially, one socket to serve two separate speakers. PA cabs are often wired in this way, having one four-way cable for two circuits.

I suppose I'm just overthinking this.  I ran a tri-amp set up about 25 years ago (one stereo and one mono power amps into two SWR enclosures and a Trace bright box), so my way of thinking for bi-amping would be two cabinets (and in my defence, m'lord), Alex said he would never built a cabinet that could effectively be split for biamping purposes (I think he pretty much said something along the lines of, 'Just get a pair of Big Babys/Super Compacts or a combination of the two).

I guess it's a sign of the times that there are a number of Barefaced cabs up for sale when previously they'd have been snapped up pretty quickly.

I'm happy to keep this if needed but anyone interested enough to make an offer? 

Hope you don't mind me chipping in... 

Re moving to a BB2 for upright bass. I have both a BB2 and a Super Midget. I find that the SM is much more suited to my double basses - my 3 double basses use a combination of Realist and Full Circle pups and a blended mic - especially when playing arco. (Plus then I can stack both my BB2 and SM for BG gigs at stupid volumes!😎

Obviously ever double bass is different, every player hears different things and we all eq differently... But the SM works on upright for me. 

@Bloopdad1 Thanks - that's interesting to hear.

I was looking at both the BB2 or the Fearless F112. I've just picked up an Acoustic Image Coda+ which paired with my PJB C4 works pretty well so it may be this is all overkill. I just need to keep something that works well for doubling gigs and BG. I guess I could pick up another C4. That said, it's all academic unless this sells and it is a lovely cab for loud gigs! 

Edited by MrTea
  • Like 1

• MB1 locked this topic