Why become a member? ×

elect ron ics

Fishman

The more I think about it, the harder it seems to me, too.

To set up even a fake PayPal account, you have to link it to a genuine bank account and make (IIRC) a £0.01 payment from one to the other to establish the link, so it's actively tested. In the days before money laundering regulations and aggressive enforcement by the Yanks, there were workarounds. Those days are long gone.

This can only work if, having tricked someone into buying a non-existent bass in the Canaries (or in the Shetlands in the good old days) the vendor goes on to 'have difficulties' with his PayPal account and tricks the buyer into paying by bank transfer.

And that can only work if the buyer believes that he is paying money to a Spaniard in the Canaries when actually his money is going to Azerbaijan and the scammer's uncle owns the bank.

This scam would probably work better if the scammer were to claim that he works for Nigerian Customs, who have seized a container full of vintage basses which is being held in Bond at Lagos, and he can only get them released to you if you give him your bank account details ...

10 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

The more I think about it, the harder it seems to me, too.

To set up even a fake PayPal account, you have to link it to a genuine bank account and make (IIRC) a £0.01 payment from one to the other to establish the link, so it's actively tested. In the days before money laundering regulations and aggressive enforcement by the Yanks, there were workarounds. Those days are long gone.

This can only work if, having tricked someone into buying a non-existent bass in the Canaries (or in the Shetlands in the good old days) the vendor goes on to 'have difficulties' with his PayPal account and tricks the buyer into paying by bank transfer.

And that can only work if the buyer believes that he is paying money to a Spaniard in the Canaries when actually his money is going to Azerbaijan and the scammer's uncle owns the bank.

This scam would probably work better if the scammer were to claim that he works for Nigerian Customs, who have seized a container full of vintage basses which is being held in Bond at Lagos, and he can only get them released to you if you give him your bank account details ...

Agreed. So if so organised, why such crude photos, and why a Wal and a harp, there must be easier markets to sell to? 

On the subject of ebay scams I bought some Vit B12 from an ebay seller a couple of weeks ago. It normally sells for around £10-12 and it was £4.95 from one seller so I pressed play. After a fortnight I dropped them a line asking where my gear was to no reply so raised an ebay non-delivery flag. This takes a further 8 or so days before ebay look at it and it was then I checked the feedback which was -255! with everyone saying goods were not delivered. Got my money back from ebay but looking at this from the Sellers pov how did they make any money or did they quickly disappear and ebay have to stand the refunds?

Edited by yorks5stringer

That 63 P Bass is still listed despite a number of reports and is up to £521. Just 1 photo and some info about the serial number and neck stamps but tellingly, no photos of same. If I was buying a 63 P I'd be wanting a lot more provinance than one slightly grainy picture, irrespective of the price I paid.....

• Like 1