Why become a member? ×

elect ron ics

Fishman

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

...7 bids, 3 by the same person bidding against themselves...

Just on that one point, things are not so simple. There are 'automatic' bids in place (they can be made visible...), which show the bidder 'upping' his bid until the auto-bid is defeated. There are more than 7 bids (at time of your post...).
Just sayin'. B|

TBH I'm more surprised at only two photos, for a bass which you could reasonably expect to fetch well north of 2K. 

That doesn't seem scammy either; seller not used to eBay, more likely.

Maybe the best thing to do is introduce them to BC :)

Edited by alyctes

1 minute ago, alyctes said:

TBH I'm more surprised at only two photos, for a bass which you could reasonably expect to fetch well north of 2K. 

That doesn't seem scammy either; seller not used to eBay, more likely.

Maybe the best thing to do is introduce them to BC :)

Good idea :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

interestingly theres a "63" precision listed from the same spanish island https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1963-Fender-Precision-Bass/133538462183?hash=item1f178339e7:g:iZcAAOSwbFdffCjm 

Mmmmm, fair point, I stand by the harp clause however. If he’s clever enough to distract attention with that, probably not foolish enough to run two scams at once? 

16 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I emailed him for more pics of the 63.... Everything on both screams scam to me. For a start there’s not many cameras These days that can get as low Quality images

Looks like its missing strings? Smells like a scam to me, has anyone done the google image check on them to see if the photo is from somewhere else?

Just looking at the bidding history, why would 8***1 bid against themself from £1 up to £190?

Edited by yorks5stringer

But if it’s a scam, I really don’t get the harp? And he seems to know what he’s talking about musically? And you can’t bid against yourself, it just looks like you can. Perhaps the seller has MPD, genius scammer one minute, rubbish one the next :)

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

But if it’s a scam, I really don’t get the harp? And he seems to know what he’s talking about musically? And you can’t bid against yourself, it just looks like you can. Perhaps the seller has MPD, genius scammer one minute, rubbish one the next :)

If I were a harpist in the Canary Islands would ebay with an English language advert be in your top ways to sell? I I were posting a Harp from the Canary Islands would it really only cost double a bass at £200? 

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

If I were a harpist in the Canary Islands would ebay with an English language advert be in your top ways to sell? I I were posting a Harp from the Canary Islands would it really only cost double a bass at £200? 

Ha ha, fair points, but if it is a scam, its an odd one :)

But i still don't get how this 'scam' would work, unless there's a way around PayPal recharging the seller when the buyer reports a non-arrival, which I doubt, having to deal with PayPal when I had a buyer accuse me of not sending the correct item a couple of years back. Or is that what he does, he sells it and then makes out that he's been scammed "the buyer has returned a fake item", but with zero feedback that wouldn't have legs surely? Or does he just close down his bank account and hoof it?

The thing is, if you're going to run a scam, there are easier fakes to sell than Wal's and harps; phones, watches, computers, cameras...... This just seems the hard way to do it!

Been a long week, I'm probably missing something obvious :)