Why become a member? ×

1980's bass choice for £500ish

Dandelion

I have £500 cash burning hole in my pocket.  If I stick it in by bank account it will just be absorbed by bills and mundane stuff. Thus, I would like to invest this in a "future classic"   preferably from early 1980s.  I play on an 1980,'s tribute band so it would still be used from time to time, venue permitting. 

I think Matsumoku would be a way to go.. 

Any advice or thoughts will be kindly received.. 

Prices on mid 70s/ early 80s Marshall rigs seem to be on the up. I've seen amps I had trouble selling for a couple of hundred quid in the late 80s sell for £1000+. .

Strats have always sold well, Teles not so much - that may be a good bet for the future.

When people eventually get wise to the Class D sham, classic valve amps will inevitably become more desirable.

10 hours ago, Dandelion said:

I think Matsumoku would be a way to go.. 

I agree. Aria models will always get my vote and if you don’t like the necks on the standard SB models, look out for SB-R versions - more traditional neck dimensions and far prettier fret markers too!

EDIT - Just to clarify I’m not talking about crazily priced SB-1000 models. The 600/700/900 models or R60, R80 equivalents are amazing quality and still to be had at sensible money.

Edited by Deedee
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dandelion said:

There is a chap selling a Peavey patriot near me for £200 but the logo has been removed from the headstock..   This upsets me.. 

Is that the one with the DIY scratchplate and the pickup lettering highlighted with Tippex ?

If so, it upsets me too 😁

Peavey G-bass may be a bit newer than wanted. Graphite, 35"...

Ibanez Blazer series, maple is common, rosewood a bit rarer. Nearly anything from Matsumoku.

Guild Pilot is one nice bass.

Kawai is already pricey, MIJ Fender Lytes, Kramer...

Japanese copy of some other brand's model like a 4001 or a 4005.

But not a single ABG: light sound, mediocre quality.

12 hours ago, Deedee said:

I agree. Aria models will always get my vote and if you don’t like the necks on the standard SB models, look out for SB-R versions - more traditional neck dimensions and far prettier fret markers too!

EDIT - Just to clarify I’m not talking about crazily priced SB-1000 models. The 600/700/900 models or R60, R80 equivalents are amazing quality and still to be had at sensible money.

Definitely an SB700 if one can be had for £500.

I should imagine an Ibanez MC 924 would be more than that, but I wouldn't mind one.

Some great advice above........:i-m_so_happy:

If it was me; as I tend to go for vintage US-made basses I’d be looking at one of the lower range early alu-necked Kramers, which I reckon are still “sleepers” and can be found cheap if you’re lucky.   A nice headless Duke on evilBay at the moment,  for that total ‘80’s look - it’s the more desirable deluxe model too:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kramer-The-Duke-Deluxe-Bass-with-Original-Hard-Case/133484502756?hash=item1f144bdee4:g:

edit: another one just in budget (who can ship):  https://reverb.com/uk/item/35973344-kramer-the-duke-1983-85-headless-bass-w-original-case?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1726164661&utm_content=campaignid=1726164661_adgroupid=70264195649_productpartitionid=822887595494=merchantid=254031776_productid=35973344_keyword=_device=t_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=391637461803&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjN6q0NGn7AIV0N_tCh1MOgT-EAQYAiABEgJawPD_BwE

Edited by Shaggy

6 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Nothing says '80s' like headless. Just saying...

Exactly this.

What you need is a Westone 'The Rail'. Makes an 80s statement like no other bass.

This one sold for £400, which is a bit on the low side, but a £500 budget should see you right.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westone-The-Rail-headless-bass-with-original-gig-bag/303669772967?hash=item46b42102a7:g:dusAAOSwcFhfS9VN

• Like 2

Perhaps a smidge too late, I see, but late 80's Ibanez SRs and SBs are the future as seen through the eyes of the past. A SR800 or SR1000 will have your back in any fight, while the SB900 or SB1200 can take any out an eye in the blink of an... well, you get what I'm saying. None of us are getting any younger so their light weight is just right for our ageing cuff rotators. Plus, the necks are slim but not super skinny so they're easy to adjust to. Matsumoku is for broken shouldered hipsters who can't raise their left arm over their head anymore, while all the cool kids hang out at Fujigen 😁

FB0CE950-ACD3-43E9-ACF2-B3267DDBD744.thumb.jpeg.ae2c885fe221d9bfa5becb62668b7609.jpeg

• Like 1