Why become a member? ×

Underrated ...

Geek99

I'm not going specifacally for a bass player, but he happens to be one.

I'm not going for someone who no-one who has ever heard of but I think is great (although there are lots to choose from!). That is just a matter of taste rather than under-rating.

I'm going for someone who is not in my top list of favourite bands, but whenever I hear them I shake my head at the lack of credit this player gets...................

..... and it is Andy Rourke of the Smiths.

His bass playing is as engaging (more on a lot of occasions) as Marrs guitar playing, but scarcely any recognition.

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I'm not going specifacally for a bass player, but he happens to be one.

I'm not going for someone who no-one who has ever heard of but I think is great (although there are lots to choose from!). That is just a matter of taste rather than under-rating.

I'm going for someone who is not in my top list of favourite bands, but whenever I hear them I shake my head at the lack of credit this player gets...................

..... and it is Andy Rourke of the Smiths.

His bass playing is as engaging (more on a lot of occasions) as Marrs guitar playing, but scarcely any recognition.

I met him once, just as he came off stage and was heading for the gents - very charming man

😎

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

Not a bass player, a guitarist

Andy Fairweather Low.

Anyone good enough to have been Clapton’s lead guitarist is good enough for me.

If it has to be a bassist, then Dave Bronze, of AFL’s band the Lowriders.

👍

When I said Bass Players, I meant Bass Players are underated. 😉

• Haha 1

Peter Cetera of Chicago. Not just a velvet tenor voice but an AWESOME bassist.

The 'late' Terry Kath of Chicago. Was doing the same stuff as Hendrix and MORE before him but didn't get the plaudits as he was part of a 7 piece horn-led band. Even Hendrix himself said that Kath was the better player...

Tiran Porter of The Doobie Brothers. Hugely melodic player covering swamp blues, thru folk to soul and heavy rock with ease..... and a great singer to boot!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, cetera said:

Peter Cetera of Chicago. Not just a velvet tenor voice but an AWESOME bassist.

The 'late' Terry Kath of Chicago. Was doing the same stuff as Hendrix and MORE before him but didn't get the plaudits as he was part of a 7 piece horn-led band. Even Hendrix himself said that Kath was the better player...

Tiran Porter of The Doobie Brothers. Hugely melodic player covering swamp blues, thru folk to soul and heavy rock with ease..... and a great singer to boot!

Tiran Porter is so overlooked, great player.

• Like 1

Somewhere in space and time Adam Clayton will walk across a room and pick up a can of worms with his name on it. He’ll pause, consider what is required of him in his band, gaze wistfully, then after a brief moment will place it back from whence it came, and walk back across the room with a resigned shrug of the shoulders..! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Somewhere in space and time Adam Clayton will walk across a room and pick up a can of worms with his name on it. He’ll pause, consider what is required of him in his band, gaze wistfully, then after a brief moment will place it back from whence it came, and walk back across the room with a resigned shrug of the shoulders..! 

Indeed. Just because he doesn’t play a certain way, doesn’t mean he can’t.

For me definitely one of the most underrated bassists of the last 15 years is Roy Mitchell Cardenas of Mutemath. Damn fine player. I tried to start a thread on Roy's playing here, not a single reply.

Very underrated and it would seem not that well known.