Why become a member? ×

Tinnitus - interesting research

3below

Muscle tension and hearing loss are different causes of tinnitus, you guessed it, one can be relieved to some extent by manipulating/relaxing the muscles.

That won't affect the hearing loss or genetically induced tinnitus. 

Countering or 'masking' the sound of your tinnitus can be a pleasant distraction. There are hearing aids that also produce a noise to drown out your own.

As for the article, it's peculiar. I work in the audiology department of a university hospital where we do a lot of research. Generally speaking putting electricity to the tongue to stimulate the hearing centers in the brain is like expecting to switch on the telly to a Christmas special in July using your microwave.

We all want a cure for tinnitus. Over 80% of people with hearing loss experience ringing, humming, whistling, knocking, buzzing and/or hissing with a good 40% of those describing their burden as 'severe suffering'. 

Results have been seen in electrical stimulation of parts of the brain called the floculus when trying to suppress the effects of Parkinson's disease. However much more trials and testing is needed to pin down the exact where/how/why/how much etc etc to determine reliable outcomes and predictable results. Also in these trials patients report loss of their sense of horizon, they no longer feel what 'level' is.

We're getting closer but we're still some years out from an easy fix. 

Edited by Bolo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Bolo said:

We're getting closer but we're still some years out from an easy fix. 

My understanding is as you say, lots of different reasons why someone might suffer.

My own case, I believe, is related to my nasal problems.  I used to get sinus related headaches.  I was told it was because of hay fever but nobody could say why it affected me all year 'round.  It was only in my late forties that a GP looked at it seriously and said I had allergic rhinitis.

I used to suffer as a late teenager into my twenties and early thirties.  It seemed to fade away for a decade or so but then it returned.  I had occasional migraines with aura as a twenty something.  They also disappeared and returned.

Two years ago I was mentioning this to my current GP.  He thought that the tinnitus and the migraines might be related and he referred me to have scans of my head.  He said he thought there could be a cyst affecting a nerve or something like that.

I was just starting to deal with Jack's emerging problems.  It became a full time occupation keeping him safe because of his mental state at the time.  I had to cancel my own referral to deal with all of his.  They were accumulating.

I have had these problems since puberty so I felt it an acceptable sacrifice since the attacks were occasional and weren't getting any worse.

I have since picked up on one of my other health issues but again, Jack's treatments have been the focus of attention since the work he did to build himself back up went to waste during shielding.  The maintenance therapy had been stopped you see.  I've had some investigative scans on myself that have come to nowt.

Unless there are life changing consequences implied I am not yet ready to entertain more hospital referrals for myself on top of my current care duties so it'll have to wait.

I find I can regulate the noises in my head by making my own noises. It usually involves be listening to music or making it.  Singing helps a lot.  I found that out when I was a member of a local choir.  Again, care duties made it impossible to guarantee attendance at all performances so I dropped it when it became less informal and more of a committee exercise.

Voices sometimes cause me grief however.  Loud children in particular.  It's cruel.  I sometimes have a hard time with Jack's twin grand children.  They're only three, bless 'em.  Like all healthy children they can be LOUD at times and without warning.  It's a real job keeping my cool with them sometimes and I have to withdraw if it gets too uncomfortable.

This is how grumpy old men come into existence.  If it isn't piles in their backsides it's the noises in their heads.  I feel the red mist coming down around me...

Heeheehee.  Mustn't grumble though eh?  A soothing cup of tea will help.

Edited by SpondonBassed