Why become a member? ×

Tinnitus - interesting research

3below

God! but it would be good if someone could actually come up with a genuinely effective treatment for tinnitus.

@Silvia Bluejay tried to draw my attention to this article by calling downstairs to me about it ... and I couldn't understand what she was saying because my tinnitus is so bad today!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, would be nice to have a solution. As well as the high p[itched whistle I have a low volume 'dawn chorus' which gets a bit irritating.

I tried those Flare Audio things (only 20 quid) but they did nothing for me either way (making it better or worse as opposed to how I stuck them in my ear - before any of you lot make the joke!!).

This noise thing is odd.  I play with three septuagenarians, septu... oh people over 70.  They all play without ear protection  and they're absolutely deafening.  Yet their hearing seems to be no worse than you'd expect at their age. Go figure how some people can get away with it.

I've got away, without any hearing damage, after 40 year of playing in loud bands.

The only silver lining there is about this coronavirus lockdown of music venues, is that I'm unlikely to end up getting tinnitus anytime soon.

Many of my fellow musicians have it and they all say it's a total pain in the butt.

I can only hope, had mine for over 25 years now old due to overloud drums and guitars in tiny inappropriate practice rooms as a teenager. Just have kind of learned to live with it.

Nice high pitched whine with a subtle lower octave that adds a bit of colour.

Anyone else get the random pitch shift that pops up now and then and lasts a few seconds? 😂

Edited by jimmy23cricket
spelling
  • Like 1

interesting, I'm guessing I have the muscle spasm type because it comes and goes, at the moment it's there for about 10 seconds then goes away for about 10 seconds, it does vary, I didn't get it at all for about 6 months, then it came back when we stopped playing because of the lock down 😠

At one time In my 30s I had dreadful tinnitus in my left ear. A couple of years later I went to a chiropractor for my back problems and he adjusted my neck. Tinnitus gone, in an instant. It comes back every now and again but it seems to relate to some sort of nerve entrapment.

currently relaxing to a fairly steady chord, hum and two whistles. 

My dad lost hearing in one ear doing his bit in WW2. He always said he could cope with the deafness but the tinnitus drove him to distraction. Like someone tuning an old fashioned wireless set with the high squiggly noises helicopter and hiss. 

Most well mannered, considerate man I ever knew and yet he put up with that from 1945 to 2005 without complaining. Only told me about it when I asked him. 

55 minutes ago, stewblack said:

currently relaxing to a fairly steady chord, hum and two whistles. 

My dad lost hearing in one ear doing his bit in WW2. He always said he could cope with the deafness but the tinnitus drove him to distraction. Like someone tuning an old fashioned wireless set with the high squiggly noises helicopter and hiss. 

Most well mannered, considerate man I ever knew and yet he put up with that from 1945 to 2005 without complaining. Only told me about it when I asked him. 

My late Dad suffered (although not with deafness) too. He was actually awarded a pay-out. He had been in Lancaster bombers and they referred to the condition as 'Merlin ear'.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

My late Dad suffered (although not with deafness) too. He was actually awarded a pay-out. He had been in Lancaster bombers and they referred to the condition as 'Merlin ear'.

Dad's was naval guns on an anti aircraft cruiser. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Yes, would be nice to have a solution. As well as the high p[itched whistle I have a low volume 'dawn chorus' which gets a bit irritating.

I tried those Flare Audio things (only 20 quid) but they did nothing for me either way (making it better or worse as opposed to how I stuck them in my ear - before any of you lot make the joke!!).

I tried them too - no help to me either, so sent them back. Weren't very comfortable either, and I could see them falling out without me noticing.

Jaw line meets up around the ear area of bone, pressure happening to the aural nerves, perhaps exacerbated by a misaligned skeletal back. Some people grind their teeth with extreme pressure to the jaw/ ear area. My father in law trained in bombers in the war and in later life had tinnitus. He didn’t go to rock concerts!

This may help some with temp relief.

I have had it for over 40 years (mine is a high pitched whistle) which I believe was caused by testing/running Burman Valve amps at very high volumes, in a small studio! What would the older me tell the younger me. . . . . . "Turn it down a bit, squire!!" O.o:D

This works for me. Doesn't last very long but it does give some relief and reminds me of what my hearing was like, pre 1978!! :tatice_03:

https://trudenta.com/this-simple-trick-may-help-with-tinnitus/

:i-m_so_happy:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2