Why become a member? ×

He may end up wishing he'd put a reserve price on this.

pst62

1 minute ago, vinorange said:

The 1975 P bass is back on eBay, relisted. No reason yet for relisting......

I asked and he said non payer. Not sure about this one now. I bid last time and was next highest bidder, there was no second chance offer to me. 

TBH you own a bass 16 years but don't know it is a 70's P bass... you're also happy to (re)post that 'someone has said it's a 70's Fender' but not actually say it yourself or do the research to prove it and get a better price?  The fact that he is happy to show pics of the neck and pocket is great but why doesn't he just say 'this is a 75 P bass this is my proof'?  

I agree the pup looks new and I'd not think that type of logo'd pup would be 16 + years old.  

• Like 1

Hmm - I wonder if the seller used an alternative account to bid on the item creating an unofficial reserve.

I like the look of this bass but something just doesn’t feel right. 

Also - does anyone think the nut width looks like more of a jazz ?

I got the same story. Bidder pulled out so I asked if the seller is selling the bass as a genuine 1975 Fender Precision......

New message from: virtualpianoshop (227Turquoise Star)

Yes that's right

Your previous message 

Thanks for that. Just a further question; are you listing this as a genuine Fender Precision from 1975? Thanks

It could be shill bidding activity and he stepped too far. I put in a bid in the last 3 seconds and it was higher than the price at that stage in fact straight to my maximum bid, then a bid came in a second later and nothing else thus giving me enough time to bid again. But I didn’t. Bid sniper or shill bidder it feels a bit off to me. 

4 hours ago, woolf said:

Hmm - I wonder if the seller used an alternative account to bid on the item creating an unofficial reserve.

I like the look of this bass but something just doesn’t feel right. 

Also - does anyone think the nut width looks like more of a jazz ?

I agree, and I wonder if it's a bitza, but the 1 1/2" "A" nut width may actually add creedence to it's authenticity, as it seems that these were offered as an option in the '70's.

On 13/10/2020 at 10:42, ash said:

It could be shill bidding activity and he stepped too far. 

Ha ha, that serves him right. I bid on a bass a few years back and every time I placed a bid, another few small bids went on until it exceeded mine and then stopped. This carried on for a few hours on an otherwise quiet Sunday afternoon during which I became increasingly confident that I was bidding against the seller. Of course, he put in a pretty big bid with about 3 minutes to go expecting me to go higher but I didn't, just sat there waiting for the inevitable 2nd Chance Offer. Amazingly, that landed about 4 minutes after the auction finished, and was at the price the seller had pushed it up to. He said the 'bidder' had emailed him immediately informing him that 'he had put in a bid by accident and didn't have any money'. So lucky me could have it at the sale price Mr No Money had bid it up to (allegedly). I said I would take it at the value of the bid I had on the bass when Mr No Money started bidding earlier that day, about £200 lower, at which point seller started to get really angry with me and said I shouldn't bid on things if I'm not prepared to buy them, and furthermore that I was morally obliged to buy it at the level of my final bid or what's the point in eBay? Made my evening, and I enjoyed the Sunday roast so much more as the result :)  

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

The price has shot up since this morning. I’m going to watch with interest but I won’t participate this time. It will be interesting to see any bid withdrawal activity or if it comes up again? I have seen the seller before and remember feeling a little suspicious of their listing. Can’t remember what it was they were selling however.