Why become a member? ×

He may end up wishing he'd put a reserve price on this.

pst62

14 minutes ago, Nibody said:

Thats a VERY clean neck for a 75. VERY. Just saying.

I had an 85 Fender P recently that had the cleanest unmarked neck you could wish for with barely any fret wear. I couldn’t believe it but they do come along......

Could be almost worth a 450 mile round trip......maybe...

1 hour ago, Nibody said:

Thats a VERY clean neck for a 75. VERY. Just saying.

Not unusual, given the amount of poly they slapped on the maple.

The headstock is correctly aged nitro. The tuners are right, the guard might be a change. The nut is a replacement. The rest looks good.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

What's the craic with the nut and the G string run off?  

The string run off is the same that I experienced on my 77 P bass which I bought brand new.  I complained to Fender (UK) and had a setup manual in return.  Loosen the neck screws, tap the headstock to correct the alignment.  Tighten screws, all was good.

Not sure why he needs a reserve, there's two days to go and shed loads of watchers, very few serious bids go on until quite late in the day anyway. It'll go for a decent price, perhaps higher than had he put on a reserve and put off all the early small bidders, many of whom have now got their hearts set on it. And yes, that was autobiographical :)

3 minutes ago, Max Normal said:

Are those cheap Wilkinson pickups any good? Surprised anyone would put them on a vintage P-bass. The lack of original vintage pickups seems like a big problem to me tone wise.

Stick a tonerider in there for a few quid outlay and it'll sound as good as the day it left the factory :)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Max Normal said:

Are those cheap Wilkinson pickups any good? Surprised anyone would put them on a vintage P-bass. The lack of original vintage pickups seems like a big problem to me tone wise.

Agree with the surprise at one being fitted to original p bass.  It is not as if they were an aftermarket fitment in the era (think DiMarzio, Mighty-Mite etc).  I used the Wilkinson alnico vintage type pickup in a recent bitsa P build. Seems OK to me.

3 minutes ago, prowla said:

The Wilko pickups raise some doubts as to the authenticity.

Why, someone replaced the original PUPs that perhaps failed - wouldn't have been my first choice, but each to their own. Frankly, if I were trying to palm off a fake, I'd have put some mucky old PUPs in there and kept quiet? 

On 09/10/2020 at 08:42, Beedster said:

Why, someone replaced the original PUPs that perhaps failed - wouldn't have been my first choice, but each to their own. Frankly, if I were trying to palm off a fake, I'd have put some mucky old PUPs in there and kept quiet? 

I was thinking maybe made from parts or a barebones...