Why become a member? ×

Stingray copies

ped

Isn’t it weird that there are millions of J and P bass clones out there but hardly any Stingray copies? 

I’m very happy with my ‘off brand’ P and J basses (each I feel is a refinement and ‘improvement’ on the ‘original’) and I haven’t owned a Stingray for years. Naturally I’d look for adaptations of the original out of curiosity but although I’ve never really thought about it before I realise I can’t think of anything except some G&L models which naturally are pretty similar.

Also I have nothing else to do, I’m on a diet and desperate for the distraction because I know there’s nice cheese in the fridge and I’ve got at least 15 mins until the family come home when all snacks are monitored. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

The Vintage brand Ray-alikes are supposed to be really excellent VFM. Not tried one but I believe they have a good rep.

Most Vintage stuff is very good value I totally agree, but the Ray copies just look off. I think @ped meant that something that looks EXACTLY like the real deal but isn't. It's always the headstock that doesn't work on Ray copies IMO

image.thumb.png.ae132617322f96e976a0b3f22a869a11.png

Edited by BassApprentice

I had this arrive last week. Was going to go for the cheaper, passive one pickup version which looks better IMHO, but as it is going to be my only five string, I decided to go with the better specced HH version with more tonal versatility. Still cheap too! Just not too good for slap, but I can screw the frontpickup real low if needed. 

IMG_20201004_084316.jpg

• Like 1

I think the new Stingray Special basses have ticked the box regarding ‘improvements’ on the original. 

I still love the old Rays, but like my Lull P Bass has improved on Fender ergonomics, the Ray Special has upgraded the preamp, pup, hardware, ergonomics and weight - so quite a lot really. 

Regardless of model, only a Ray does a Ray IMO. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

@P-Belly Evans do you (or anyone) know if the bridge pickup is in the sweet spot? Or does it need shunted back to get it there? 

Somebody call me out on this if I'm wrong as I have never played a Ray, but it looks a little close to the bridge if anything (the bridge is big and further into the body as well) . The passive MB5 SB looks closer to the sweet spot, but as I said earlier I wanted a few different tones (it has the 5 way pickup selector). The rear pickup does give a relatively good Ray tone (that I have heard on records anyway) if you cut the mids, but it is wired in series unlike the Ray, so is not exact. But for 177 quid it does me and I am having fun with a fiver for the first time in my life

I'm not 100% on the history, but I think part of the reason there are so many direct copies of Fenders is that they were quite slack with copywrite early on, and by the time they tried to enforce it, too much had already been let slide for them to have a strong case.

This has given the impression that EBMM and Rickenbacker are stingy gits for not letting people use their designs, when in fact we have just gotten used to Fender being ripped off with inpunity.

EBMMs range is pretty confusing with all the diferent combinations of Musicman/Stingray/Sterling/S.U.B./Ray4, but the (I think) Sterling by Musicman S.U.B. Ray 4 looks like a good lower priced version, with the two band EQ, too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I'm not 100% on the history, but I think part of the reason there are so many direct copies of Fenders is that they were quite slack with copywrite early on, and by the time they tried to enforce it, too much had already been let slide for them to have a strong case.

This has given the impression that EBMM and Rickenbacker are stingy gits for not letting people use their designs, when in fact we have just gotten used to Fender being ripped off with inpunity.

EBMMs range is pretty confusing with all the diferent combinations of Musicman/Stingray/Sterling/S.U.B./Ray4, but the (I think) Sterling by Musicman S.U.B. Ray 4 looks like a good lower priced version, with the two band EQ, too.

I think that's right. Fender and Gibson have really lost the opportunity to protect their old designs.

But at the same time I can't see a neck measurement being able to be protected.It's probably more of a hassle thing and possibly lower sales. Fender forums are full of people upgrading their instruments and the EBMM forum bans people who ask questions about upgrading! So dealing with the hassle of a litigious brand and customers who maybe don't change things on their basses as much might be why there's no aftermarket apart from tuning gears and pickups.

19 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Most Vintage stuff is very good value I totally agree, but the Ray copies just look off. I think @ped meant that something that looks EXACTLY like the real deal but isn't. It's always the headstock that doesn't work on Ray copies IMO

image.thumb.png.ae132617322f96e976a0b3f22a869a11.png

The bridge never looks right to me also.  For some reason Ray copies always seem to look 'cheap' to me whereas that's not always the case for Fender clones.

• Like 3