Why become a member? ×

MXR Phase 90 volume loss

Jaybeevee

Hi

just wondered if anyone has experience with my small issue..

i recently built a sizable pedal board with two power bricks and a Buzz electronics 12 ch looper. I ordered the looper with 4 loops after the pre amp allowing me to run my modulations effects (including the MXR) through the effects loop of the amp.. happy days

Since i did this, the MXR phase 90 has lost quite a bit of volume (was always great, if anything giving a little boost before).. Any one have any insight here as to why?

Cheers

jay

Ive used phase 90s on a loop before (Boss LS2) And it didn't work at all. The sound disappears. I tried to add a clean blend,but the sound was quiet and hardly there. I think there's something in it's design meaning it doesn't behave well with loops. No problems at all out of a loop.

Does your looper have phase reversal switches?, as it appears to be cancelling out the effect

Not a solution to your problem at all I know, but at least you know you're not going mad 😂

Edited by lee650
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not all pedals are happy running in an FX loop at line level. This might be one of those pedals! Most bassists just run their FX straight into the amp, as we don't tend to rely on preamp colouration/overdrive as much as guitarists. So if your amp is pretty clean and neutral, I'd just forget the FX loop personally.

It's worth trying a buffer beforehand, but my Phase 90 works just as well with a passive instrument plugged in vs having a preamp pedal just before it... and the FX loop situation should be fairly similar to the preamp pedal situation, just perhaps with a higher volume level.

Do you hear any distortion coming from the Phase 90?

• 1 month later...