Why become a member? ×

Tributes - please stop

Steve Browning

3 minutes ago, ped said:

Not because I’m a git. Obviously it’s tremendously sad for his friends and family. But I didn’t know him. I liked his music, but that’s as far as my interest in him went. 

Is that bad?

No, I feel the same way about musicians dying.

It's a shame, as it is when anyone dies, but that's about it.

• Like 2

I liked Van Halen a lot. Hendrix had been and gone before I was born, Eddie is the guy who had moved the instrument on in a dramatic way during my lifetime. If you were into rock or metal in the 80's, Eddie was the big dog when it came to guitarists. The first bands I played in were filled with guys copying him directly, or copying the guys who were copying him. In that sense, it's someone who played a role in my lifetime who has died and, even though I didn't know him and never saw VH live, there is still a sense of loss. 

• Like 1

I don't care one way or the other, I don't normally listen to Tributes/Tribute bands full stop. But, I suppose with a lack of playing time for most musicians this past few months,

it's a chance to get together with other players and do a bit of playing, even if it is remotely.

One man's heartfelt tribute is another man's fingernails-down-the-chalkboard.  Such are the differences.

I get that someone wants to play along to their departed idol as a reminder of their greatness, but I'm not sure what is achieved by uploading it to Farcebook other than 'look at me'.  I don't argue with anyone's right to do that though.  Folks vary...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ped said:

Van Halen’s passing doesn’t upset me one bit, in all honesty. 

Not because I’m a git. Obviously it’s tremendously sad for his friends and family. But I didn’t know him. I liked his music, but that’s as far as my interest in him went. 

Is that bad? 

Same feelings for Rocco who passed recently. Tremendous player, seemed like a genuine guy and I grew up with his music. But times change. I like other music too. I appreciate the music he left behind that I can enjoy forever. 

Maybe it’s just me!

I remember I said something very similar on here when Jade Goody died.  Wasn't long before I had villagers with flaming torches at my door, looking for my head.

I sent condolences via WhatsApp to a friend who I know has been massively influenced by EVH. Seemed appropriate as I knew he'd be genuinely upset. 

Personally I can't name one VH song so obvs to me the news was sad but no more so than any other cancer death of a stranger. 

If Bruce Thomas died I'd be desperately sad but as I didn't grow up in the age of social meeja I'd probably express that sadness in a different way. 

The passing of people who have enriched my life and made my world a far far better place is worthy of mention. That's a simple human response. 

We have new choices how to make that response, that's all. We don't need to like nor decry the choices others make. 

25 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I remember I said something very similar on here when Jade Goody died.  Wasn't long before I had villagers with flaming torches at my door, looking for my head.

Serves you right 

• Haha 2

I have zero issue with a tribute, however the ‘fashion’ for slowing a song down to the point of tedium and putting warbling vocals as a tribute is deeply irritating. But any song like that is generally irritating.

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Oddly enough it made me feel better.

Which, one way or another, is why we post a vid of ourselves playing EVH, why we start a thread about people who post vids of themselves playing EVH, if why we disagree with someone else who posts in that thread :)

40 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I have zero issue with a tribute, however the ‘fashion’ for slowly a song down to the point of tedium and putting warbling vocals as a tribute is deeply irritating. But any song like that is generally irritating.

I know it's about musical opinions but, Yep, I agree...

This current version is doing my head and ears in.

:shok: 

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Why do they think anyone wants to hear a (to use the fairly recently-coined term) Poundshop version of a classic piece of music? It's more of an insult than tribute. Actually, I hate bass players covering Youtube and Facebook with their solo noodling too but that's slightly different, I guess.

This is the funniest thing ive read for ages. 

Its a lot easier to not click on the links than it is to click, listen then go and start a thread about it.

If it winds you up why listen to them? and if you don’t listen to them why comment on something you haven’t listened to?

• Like 3

There was an utter cringe fest on Jeremy Vine's show this afternoon where the complete twunt had all manner of guitarists phoning in to do tributes on their guitars. The signal crapped out all over the shop and it was just awful. I find him unbearable at the best of times, but he then admitted he didn't;t have a clue that EVH did the solo in Beat It. Utter utter 🔔 end.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I use my mouse, trackpad, or a swipe motion to scroll past stuff I'm not interested in.

There's probably a tutorial on YouTube to show you how to do it.

Maybe we should record a tribute on YouTube en homage to your tutorial ... 

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Couldn’t you find your own head then ? I always find it just above my neck somewhat below the ceiling (or sky if outside). Maybe you were outside and they needed the flaming torches to help in the search ...,🤔

13 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is the funniest thing ive read for ages. 

Its a lot easier to not click on the links than it is to click, listen then go and start a thread about it.

If it winds you up why listen to them? and if you don’t listen to them why comment on something you haven’t listened to?

Can I draw your attention to the 'don't comment if you haven't read thread'?

3 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I don't think I have ever posted a motivational meme before but I guess this explains the other side of things pretty well.

thumbnail_IMG_4468.jpg.c4ad4faedcee9f2ec3338d9b8078a4ce.jpg

Funny you should post that. I was watching a gig on You Tube last night that has been remastered (again) recently that I must have watched a thousand times. It still gives me goosebumps now. The music, the people involved, the time. It’s very much more than ‘a gig’ for me. 

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

I really don't get the whole bedroom warriors putting their playing-along videos up.  I never have. 

It's doesn't matter whether the poster is just starting out (and playing not so well) or whether they're a seasoned-pro (Tim Starace), I just detest this whole look at me vibe; those facial expressions, the getting the stance right, the body language etc.  What this all comes down to for me at least is to my core I detest the idea of playing covers and where YouTube is concerned, I'd be far more attentive and engaging if these guys were actually posting original material, you know, stuff they'd written and created themselves.  These people didn't write the notes they're playing.  Grrr.  Anyway, I'll stop here in case I pop a vein.

Going a little off track here, concerning Eddie Van Halen, I've not seen any tributes (apart from the old Phil X stuff) and nor do I want to.  While he was a fantastic player, I would concur with @ped in that his passing hasn't affected me in the slightest apart from the matter of factness that the resurrected VH never made it back over here, so I never got that one last chance to see them live.  I had a mate text me when the news broke that he was very upset.  I mean, whaaaat?  His passing will at least stop Sammy Hagar's ridiculous and frequent social media posts asking why Eddie hasn't contacted him in ten years to get him back in the band.

What is tragic (for me at least) is just how little Van Halen actually released in the 42 years since the first album.  Six albums in the first six years, seven between 1986 and 2012.  The whole Van Halen saga just seemed to be more of a soap opera peppered with inactivity and lost opportunity.  Sure they were huge, but the live shows are just memories.  Hopefully, Wolf and the the other guys might sanction some releases of some sort.

So it goes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steantval said:

Agree about Jeremy Vine being a complete 🔔 end, I’m sure he thinks he is highly intelligent, he has a very blinkered knowledge, real world stuff, he hasn’t got a clue, some of his comments are embarrassing.

He also rates The Smiths, which is also a blot on his character

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I heard VH were going to release some archive recordings of You Really Got Me, Ice Cream Man, You’re No Good, Where Have All The Good Times Gone, Oh Pretty Woman etc etc 😂

The Gene Simmons Zero Demos are good...they're easily available.  I've got a very decent bootleg of a one of the Rainbow, Finsbury Park shows.  Allegedly they were recording constantly, if there is a vault, it has to be brimming over with material.

On 07/10/2020 at 13:42, ped said:

Van Halen’s passing doesn’t upset me one bit, in all honesty. 

Is that bad? 

I feel kind of bad about it - but in a different way.

Normally I can find something at least about a famous deceased which I liked.... they had a couple of good singles, a couple of good jokes or whatever.

But in the case of EVH the whole guitar technique he developed (and is justifiably lauded for) did absolutely nothing for me - zilch.

So I feel sad for him, his family/friends and fans.... but not directly. ☹️

I’m fine with people wanting to pay tribute to their fallen heroes. In the case of EVH, he was a major part of the lives of many musicians who play that type of music (including me), especially guitarists. It’s hardly surprising that many want to do something to mark his passing, given that the medium to do so (YouTube, etc) is well established. I would definitely participate in some sort of tribute given the opportunity.

On a personal level, EVH may have been a hero of mine, but I didn’t know him personally. It’s always tragic when someone passes away relatively young, but he had been ill for several years and there were rumours that he had died three years or so ago. I find the public outpourings of grief by people who didn’t know the person a bit disturbing (I’m thinking more Princess Di rather than Eddie by the way). It’s a shame, but it’s not as if he didn’t get the chance to reach his full potential – a life well lived (on balance) and he isn’t suffering anymore. If anyone wants to pay tribute to everything that he achieved, then that’s OK by me…