Why become a member? ×

Eddie van Halen: Rock star and guitar legend dies of throat cancer aged 65 '

dave_bass5

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

His niceness was inverse to the effect of his alcoholism, which he did overcome. Not just in the tributes since yesterday, but there are lots of accounts of him being a very nice fella.

Some people think I’m a nice guy and there are some that think I’m a nasty pasty. It’s all down to personal opinions. 

41 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Hope you are coping ok. Not a good time for you but we are all thinking of you.

Dave

Cheers Dave. To be honest, I can’t really make sense of it at the moment.

FWIW, last year was even worse, so there is that. 

Edited by 4000
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

What happened last year. Can it get much worse

Yes, sadly. And it still could this year as I have other family members who aren’t out of the woods yet.

Anyway, back to the thread...l

Edited by 4000
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Beedster said:

This is a nice clip

Truly the dirtiest thing I have seen in a long while. Looked effortless. That short clip demonstrates the energy bursting out of his playing. No wonder he inspired so many people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Also let it not be forgotten EVH was also a big influence in guitar design, starting with his Frankenstrat and going onto the Wolfgang, for my money the coolest electric guitar design of all.

Very true, the Frankenstrat established a new standard format for the electric guitar (superstrat or other shape) i.e. humbucker in the bridge position, upgraded trem and a fender scale neck. Similarly, how EVH modded his amps led to a whole new industry of boutique hi-gain amps.

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Very true, the Frankenstrat established a new standard format for the electric guitar (superstrat or other shape) i.e. humbucker in the bridge position, upgraded trem and a fender scale neck. Similarly, how EVH modded his amps led to a whole new industry of boutique hi-gain amps.

Though his tone on the Beat It solo was down to a Hartley Thompson Amp "hot-rodded" by his friend Allan Holdsworth (who was an inveterate tweaker/tinkerer).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Though his tone on the Beat It solo was down to a Hartley Thompson Amp "hot-rodded" by his friend Allan Holdsworth (who was an inveterate tweaker/tinkerer).

That solo is a work of art and fits the song perfectly. Short but oh so good!

I too remember hearing Eruption for the first time on my mates turntable back in the day, awesome playing which left us both mystified at the time as to how it was done.

I loved the 'Hot for teacher' video as well.. 'Sit down Waldo!'

Cheeky chappy and one amazing player EVH 👍

9 minutes ago, ubit said:

That solo is a work of art and fits the song perfectly. Short but oh so good!

Done free of charge on a whim. According to legend in 1 (or 3) takes + 1 of the Studio Monitors caught fire.

Brevity of the solo certainly left one wanting just a little bit more.

Whilst on the subject of tribute players - during the interval of last year's Cricket World Cup Final, one of the Test Match Special Commentary Team played an awesome version of Eruption. Did anyone else here catch it ? Made the very mediocre guitarist doing interval music cringe a bit I reckon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Brevity of the solo certainly left one wanting just a little bit more.

....which is the polar opposite of nearly all guitar players in my experience. The oldest rule in musicianship, it's not what you play that draws attention, it's what you don't play. The virtuoso guitar thing is characterised by too much playing and ostentatious displays of technique and not enough musicality. As Mozart (allegedly) said of Salieri, "Too many notes"  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

....which is the polar opposite of nearly all guitar players in my experience. The oldest rule in musicianship, it's not what you play that draws attention, it's what you don't play. The virtuoso guitar thing is characterised by too much playing and ostentatious displays of technique and not enough musicality. As Mozart (allegedly) said of Salieri, "Too many notes"  

That was actually Emperor Joseph of Austria talking to Mozart.

Must admit though, much as I admire the technique of the likes of Satriani, Malmsteen for example the mad widdling leaves me cold. Love/adore Allan Holdsworth beyond all measure though.

• Like 2

I generally have little patience with lead guitar solos as most of them bore the titz off me with their derivativeness, inappropriateness to the song and overlonginess . No such thing with EVH's which were to the point and never overcooked. 

He also cut the mustard live. While most bands leave theatrics and crowdpleasing to the lead singer, Eddie was every much a part of the frontline as DLR and Sammy Hagar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

I generally have little patience with lead guitar solos as most of them bore the titz off me with their derivativeness, inappropriateness to the song and overlonginess . No such thing with EVH's which were to the point and never overcooked. 

He also cut the mustard live. While most bands leave theatrics and crowdpleasing to the lead singer, Eddie was every much a part of the frontline as DLR and Sammy Hagar.

Though Vai's stuff with Zappa was fantastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JottoSW1 said:

Thread derail - back in the 80s I had a huge (8u) amp rack I could hardly lift on my own, featuring a Hartley Thompson bass preamp. 

Back as you were... 

• Like 1