Why become a member? ×

Some New Model Army covers (UK post punk band, pick style bass)

JonnyBGood

Hi folks

A quick search tells me there are a few guys here interested in the excellent post punk pick (!) bass style of early New Model Army. IMO Stuart Morrow, their original bassist, is easily one of rock's finest pick players and came up with some excellent bass riffs and licks.

There are very few bass covers of his work on Youtube so I thought I'd record a few to celebrate their 40th birthday, starting with the two below from their second album, No Rest for the Wicked.

Cheers

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Some good playing on some great bass lines there. For some reason I’ve never got familiar with NMAs material, but every time I hear some I like it - as a starting point would you suggest this album @JonnyBGood?

The above 2 tracks are from the No Rest For The Wicked album, as @JohnnyBGood says has some fantastic plectrum (as they were called when I were a lad) playing. The tone and the style used on the album is clearly influenced by JJ Brunel, but with its own slant. It's a sublime album, one of my all time favourites. The follow up album, The Ghost of Cain, after Stuart Morrow had left felt empty without his playing. 

Some great playing there too, Johnny. 

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to see them play a few times with Morrow, not only is it hard playing like that with a pick but how an earth he did it throwing himself all over the place like he did I don’t know. Mind you thankfully he set the bar extremely high for the subsequent bass players in NMA who have all been excellent, but none as unique as Stuart Morrow.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2020 at 19:14, Lozz196 said:

Some good playing on some great bass lines there. For some reason I’ve never got familiar with NMAs material, but every time I hear some I like it - as a starting point would you suggest this album @JonnyBGood?

Yes, despite the mushy production (lots of reverb on everything and it sounds like the bass has been panned wide) there is some excellent and original bass work on it. Stuart recorded just two albums with them, No Rest and Vengeance. To be honest I'd recommend both. Vengeance is a little more raw (which is a good thing production-wise) but again, fantastic pick/plectrum bass work including a couple of fretless numbers and one or two recorded on a six string.  The bass is really the star on these early albums playing the role of low end plus rhythm and lead voices too, the guitar lines are pretty sparse. Hugely underrated and over looked bassist, IMO.  

The next two albums featured Moose Harris on bass, also very good (nice guy also) and again some great basslines that really drove their anthemic sound. 

Thanks for the positive comments guys, much appreciated. More to come, this is fun stuff to play 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...