Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000 USA - Crackle on pots

clarkeyjnr

I've got a 21 year old G&L L2000 (USA) and it's been hung on my wall far too long! No I've started playing it again, it's got a little crackle on the 3 pots. I've tried squirting a little DeoxiIT Dn5 which improved it a bit, but it's still here when I roll the controls up or down. Any suggestions?  Or is this to be expected on a 21 year old bass? 

Is it better to replace the pots - in which case - can anyone tell me if it's the  250KA - 250K Audio Taper  or 500KA - 500K Audio Taper  I need to order?

Or am I better off keeping the instrument as is, with a 'vintage' sound/crackle........? 

G&L L2000 Pots.jpg

1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

Here's the wiring diagram for an ASAT/L200/L2500.

It appears that Volume and Tone (Treble) are 250K Audio and Bass is 1 Meg which might be an Anti-Log Taper, not absolutely sure. That's what's thrown up when you Google "1MC Potentiometer".

ASATbass_L-2000_L2500_Wiring.pdf 31.27 kB · 0 downloads

I think it is 1M reverse log for the bass.  There is some discussion as to being able to replace it with a 250K linear though I don't understand how that would work.

https://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2687

Be aware if you do buy from G&L the postage is huge to the Uk - something like $40 which is what put me off in the past!

How much do you fiddle with the controls when playing live? If you mostly just set and forget then I wouldn't worry about it. A little crackle here and there is all part of the vintage experience!

30 minutes ago, ikay said:

How much do you fiddle with the controls when playing live? If you mostly just set and forget then I wouldn't worry about it. A little crackle here and there is all part of the vintage experience!

It never bothers me, to be honest, but I'm going to sell it as I just don't play it that much anymore. Not sure anyone will buy it if there is a slight crackle when the pots are adjusted?

3 hours ago, BassBunny said:

Here's the wiring diagram for an ASAT/L200/L2500.

It appears that Volume and Tone (Treble) are 250K Audio and Bass is 1 Meg which might be an Anti-Log Taper, not absolutely sure. That's what's thrown up when you Google "1MC Potentiometer".

ASATbass_L-2000_L2500_Wiring.pdf 31.27 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for posting this! @BassBunny

1 minute ago, clarkeyjnr said:

It never bothers me, to be honest, but I'm going to sell it as I just don't play it that much anymore. Not sure anyone will buy it if there is a slight crackle when the pots are adjusted?

Sure they will. I think if you describe it as "slight crackle as generally found in 21 year old pots" then no one would really think twice about it. if they were really bothered about it they could them replaced or cleaned.

9 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Sure they will. I think if you describe it as "slight crackle as generally found in 21 year old pots" then no one would really think twice about it. if they were really bothered about it they could them replaced or cleaned.

Cheers, I appreciate it. 'tis a lovely bass - so hopefully someone will cherish it like I did. My tastes are now firmly in slimmer narrower neck territory.IMG_1597.thumb.jpg.a8898acea0ef799c06d79e97cc8453d7.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

Edited by clarkeyjnr