Why become a member? ×

Medium jumbo vs medium small frets?

Greg.Bassman

Hello. I have a fender jazz bass at the moment, but am looking into purchasing a sire v7 bass. The former has medium jumbo frets and the latter has medium small [I think!]. What difference can I expect to find between the two basses in terms of feel and performance because of this? Also, what is the purpose of different fret sizes in general? I am curious to understand the science behind such. Thank you.

Edited by Greg.Bassman

23 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

They have no impact on feel, I've found jumbo frets makes more of a clanky noise when you play a note, because theres more metal on metal string contact. Thinner frets are better imho, less clank and more precise.

Interesting. Thank you for your feedback.

9 hours ago, Drax said:

The frets on the Sire won’t feel different to your Fender , they might even be the same size. 

There’s a variety of fractionally different sizes that get labelled Medium Jumbo. Sire uses 2.4mm, which is often called MJ.  

I see. Thank you. I should have specified that I have a ‘player’ [mexican made] series fender jazz bass. Does this make a difference?