Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Abm 500 Evo vs Abm 600 Evo IV

danbanbass

I had an ABM500 Evo 3 a few years back and also an ABM600 Evo 4 a little more recently. The Evo 4 is a very different beast. I found it much more preferable to the older version - you could make it sound a lot tighter, the eq is more versatile and the power amp is much improved. Hugely hefty sounding but able to cut and sparkle as well. I found the old one a bit of a one trick pony and could never get it to cut in a mix - it just sounded woolly and undefined to me. 

The ABM600 Evo 4 is the only amp i've ever had that i regretted selling and i can see me having one again someday....

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

The evo iv is a fantastic head. Really fantastic. It is a different beast to the 1,2 and 3, but has similar traits.

Any sound is possible once you get used to it. From funk, to r n b, to rock. I even had mine a bit Ampeg like tonight. Very punchy. Much more so than the others.

Easy carry, but good weight.

Volume and oomph for days.

As with all ashdowns the pre shape is the key. Personally for me pre shape OFF (ironically by pushing IN) works great in the mix.

To be honest it's a real steal at its usual rrp. If you can get it cheaper, even better.

I’ve had two SVT-3PROs, good amps but if expectations are of the traditional SVT sound it doesn’t quite meet it. Plus the size of it, and the fact it really needs to be in a rack case made it pretty cumbersome & awkward to cart about. Being a major Ashdown Fanboi I’d stick with the original thoughts of the ABM600, I found it to be more versatile than the Ampeg, lighter/easier to carry, and wayyyyy louder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve had two SVT-3PROs, good amps but if expectations are of the traditional SVT sound it doesn’t quite meet it. Plus the size of it, and the fact it really needs to be in a rack case made it pretty cumbersome & awkward to cart about. Being a major Ashdown Fanboi I’d stick with the original thoughts of the ABM600, I found it to be more versatile than the Ampeg, lighter/easier to carry, and wayyyyy louder.

The only thing that holds me back from pulling the trigger on the Svt 3 is the reports of lacking power

3 minutes ago, danbanbass said:

The only thing that holds me back from pulling the trigger on the Svt 3 is the reports of lacking power

I used an SVT3-PRO for 8 years (with Mesa 210 and 115 EV cabs) and there was no lack of power. I play 5 string basses and it easily kept up in a very loud Rock-Blues guitar trio.

10 hours ago, danbanbass said:

Well the Ashdown is louder, but as Chris says the SVT3 isn’t quiet, it just takes a while to get used to how to obtain the max performance from it.

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Well the Ashdown is louder, but as Chris says the SVT3 isn’t quiet, it just takes a while to get used to how to obtain the max performance from it.

I'd believe Lozz when he says the Ashdown is the louder of the 2.

If I was choosing between the two, right now, I'd buy the Ashdown. They are a good amp, with a good reputation and made in the UK. I believe the SVT3-PRO is currently being made in China. These days trying to support home-grown businesses is an important consideration for me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'd believe Lozz when he says the Ashdown is the louder of the 2.

If I was choosing between the two, right now, I'd buy the Ashdown. They are a good amp, with a good reputation and made in the UK. I believe the SVT3-PRO is currently being made in China. These days trying to support home-grown businesses is an important consideration for me.

The Ashdowns are not made in the UK these days. Some of the range may be but the ABMs are made in China I believe. I had an EVO IV not long ago. At low volume I didn't notice much difference in tone to my older UK-made ABM combo. Both sounded great. My memories of the SVT 3 I owned are a little vague now. It has a few tubes in there plus one to drive the mosfets. It won't compete volume-wise with the Ashdown but sound-wise it had that Ampeg sound which works great with bass. It will be interesting to see what Yamaha do with the brand when they get around to revamping the amp line.

Edited by markorbit

One additional benefit of Ashdown aside from the sound/volume is that in the unlikely case of something going wrong with one is that being UK based, and offering excellent customer service is that it’s pretty easy to get it dealt with both quickly and reasonably. 

On 05/10/2020 at 22:12, Lozz196 said:

As above, pretty much exactly my thoughts, including the regret selling part. I’ve no need for an amp like that now but I do miss it. 

What the feck has need got to do with it? On another note, I asked someone at Ashdown what the best amp they have ever made was  tghe answer was ABM series, No question!

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

What the feck has need got to do with it? On another note, I asked someone at Ashdown what the best amp they have ever made was  tghe answer was ABM series, No question!

Oh don’t say that, I’m finally at peace with myself for selling mine, I don’t need any encouragement to go and buy another (no matter how much I want to, of course).

Edited by Lozz196

I play the 1200w ABM Evo 4 at my rehearsal room - love it! So much so that I bought the 600w version a couple of weeks ago (before the b stocks were available).  It’s a great amp, love the valve drive on it.

I tried the orange terror 500 in a shop, I didn’t really like the way it distorted 

Edited by alexa3020
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, walshy said:

ABM 600. Mighty as a mighty thing! For £450 at the moment for B stock, its a no brainer.

Aaaand they're gone. You snooze you looze.

There's still an ABM-1200-EVO IV B stock in for £650, but I understand they're much heavier and not everyone needs that kinda headroom.

https://ashdownmusic.com/collections/b-stock/products/abm-1200-evo-iv-head-b-stock