Why become a member? ×

How to practice silent with bass AND guitar?

Marvin

One of my sons is learning guitar and I thought it'd be an idea to play along together at home. Obviously, there are others in the house who don't appreciate the artistic ventures of stringed instruments at volume (mostly his older brother, the miserable toad), so I was wondering how to go about us playing using headphones so we could hear each other and a backing track.

I noticed a little 6 track desk for sale locally (pic below) for not much money. I thought we could both plug into that via Zoom multi fx pedals (I bought him the G1on recently, because I got fed up with him pinching my B1on), plug them into the desk and then use a spliter cable in the headphone out so we could hear it. There's also an aux in input for mp3 I think.

I've never had anything to do with desks, not a thing. So, sounding like someone who doesn't know his musical derrière from his elbow, would this work? Or is there an easier way of playing along together using headphones?

Cheers

842597874_Screenshot2020-10-05at16_34_55.png.d49a42f8fb351aef4ca5258f06b81def.png

Edited by Marvin

There are lots of ways you can achieve what you're after - the mini mixer approach should work fine.

This ⬇️ is another possibility. I got one earlier in lockdown & it's quite good. You can chain them to rehearse together:

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/amps_accessories/sessioncake/index.html

Sessioncake.jpg.71e6a492eaa8cf31b7cae2dcb7d08fe8.jpg

SC-01

No amp, no cabinet, no pedals… just a guitar or bass, some headphones, and SessionCake SC-01 are all you need for intensive individual practice or a full-blown rehearsal or jam session. Connect up to 8 SessionCakes together to create a fully featured mixing system where everyone can create the mix that works for them. Portable, lightweight, battery powered, and equipped with a Hi-Z input, the SC-01 also features an AUX-in port that allows you to use an iOS device as an effector, or play along with your music library.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

I'll have a look at the SC01 as the mixing desk has sold.

Many thanks

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, the only thing I bought for mine was a longer headphone lead which was about £5 , it works great with the iPad or iPhone 🙂

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

I'll have a look at the SC01 as the mixing desk has sold.

Many thanks

If you decide to go for one, make sure to check all the prices which vary considerably on these for some reason. Seen them currently on sale for £29.99 on eBay, whilst you can pay upwards of  £70 at some places. I’ve used mine a fair bit during lockdown, and for around £30 you really can’t go wrong.

• Like 1