Why become a member? ×

I’ve got a mid-80s Squire Jazz that I’m going to soup up in a (sort of but not really) copy of Paul Turner’s 1960s Olympic White Jazz. I know it won’t make me sound like him, the tone is in his hands etc. not a daft fan boy - but it’s a well known and well heard reference point.

Anyone any thoughts of pick-ups? From what I can see it’s pretty much a coin flip between Nordstrand and Lindy Fralin (pretty similar price points).

Any other options to add to the mix? The Fender equivalents seem a bit over priced.

3 hours ago, Nickthebass said:

As a replacement for what? Into what sort of bass? What sort of sound are you going for? 😁

Hi Nick, i have a really nice Fender Jazz Elite, with noiseless pups and the truly bloody awful Fender active circuit. Well awful to my ears anyway, but might be great for others. It sounded glassy and hollow, and i tend to use preamps and compressor so can shape the tone. So, i have a Kiogin, VT, VT plus push/pull series/parallel loom and the Ironstone pups as i wanted Alnicos but also a warmer vintage tone but with the Jazz growl, which the Noiseless pups dont deliver. 
the ironstones run quite hot, andcan produce a great range of tones, with the new loom. 
i cant help thinking that Fender should do this , like they used to! 

just about to fit the same loom into Fender Precision Ultra, but with Bloodstone pickups, as they do a nice PJ set, with a similar output to the ironstones but also hand wound, wax potted, and quality wiring.

both of these basses are keepers, and wonderful to play, but now i will have two passive basses, which i can tone shape, and still offer a really flexible range. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1