Why become a member? ×

Soundcloud scam ?

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Howdy ! 

Over the last few months, I've been getting to grips with GarageBand  and uploading  short tracks onto soundcloud .

Far from spectacular , and just  a continuation of me enjoying  playing with  my toys  on a regular  basis and getting a few likes ,and rare comments  also.. 

Yes, I've had the spam comments from the females who want to hook up with me etc and are removed  fairly promptly .

However, I got approached from a small label a couple of days ago  ( I won't name  them just yet ) . They offered to promote my efforts on Spotify ,and Apple Music .  They are supposedly a small label who are trying to expand  blah blah blah .

My initial reaction was to think it's a scam . I asked  for more information , and they said I'd get 80%  of all tracks etc.

so , about 20 cents .

Further investigation by myself , reveals they want $50 . . I asked if it is a one off payment and they said that is the case.

payment is by PayPal . 

i forwarded one of my tracks , and they liked it . ( of course. they would if they're scammers and want $50).

Has this happened to anybody here ?  

The company have a few artists on their page , 

I've ignored the last email, and will Probabky avoid  but it would be interesting to see if others have been in this situation.

Cheers 

Thanks gjones 😹

I never thought of that , and I think you may be onto something there.

They wanted the proper wave files of other stuff I have ,but I'm not doing that.

Bizarrely , I received 2 random emails from other artists sending me their efforts this morning  . One was okay , but the other was not my bag . 
Don't know why they chose me . Maybe it's all connected . 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I've not had anything from Beige (😭), but the only things I have on Soundcloud are Basschat composition challenge entries, and every time I upload a track I'll wake up the following morning to a few messages from producers, promoters, blog owners, influencers and various other chancers telling me that my tune is just what the world needs (i mean.... Last Tango in Barnsley FFS?), and with their help promoting/producing/mastering/blogging or whatever, I could really kick off my world domination attempt.

I've always just assumed that they think everyone on Soundcloud is a young hopeful, dreaming of stardom, and they don't imagine they're messaging a 50 year old cynic who has heard all this cow poop before.

• Like 1

The last tango in Barnsley is what everybody needs . 😸

I think that you have hit the nail on the head about  the perceived soundcloud uploaders . 

Years ago pre internet a friend / work colleague who is very talented on the recording side of things, used to get paid for background jingle noises and had an agent . Small time obviously , and  one of his samples was on tv for a woman's magazine called Red. He had various distractions unfortunately , and  I doubt if he did much after that . 

That would appeal to me , being paid for the odd jingle here and there but it's not going to happen . 

It's best to keep treating it as an enjoyable hobby . 
That is , until the recording process becomes too complex ..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

If they're asking for money from you upfront its 100% a scam. No doubt whatsoever.

Thanks for confirming J-LP 😸

My thoughts exactly , but the scammers are getting more sophisticated .

Not sure whether to report to soundcloud or just block them .

57 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

They're trying to convince you they're bigshots who can represent your music and they're communicating via a gmail address. They're not even trying to be taken seriously.

You're right J-L p .

Having said that , they were giving me the impression of a very small outfit looking to grow . 
I have received the usual scammers talking 'dope ' / 'bro' trying to do the same thing but they were blatantly obvious . Most of those spammers got deleted by soundcloud .

This lot , are incredibly polite in comparison 😸

I'm in the same category as NickD, above ^^, and have been posting stuff on Soundcloud for several years now. Mostly BC Challenge entries, but occasional other stuff, none of which has any commercial value whatever. During this time I have built up a huge following of eager persons and enterprises, all keen to develop my potential, and launch this 70-year-old retiree onto the international fame-and-fortune ladder. My flattered ego would have been tempted by these illustrious offers but for my innate modesty and unwillingness to jet around the world dressed in sparkly garments. I can drink little champagne without serious plumbing issues, so that advantage means nothing to me, either.
No, I've not disbursed my meager pension on these solicitations; maybe I'm making the wrong choices. If (when..?) they offer me a Bentley, I may be tempted, however. Are Radio xxx ready for me..? :sun_bespectacled:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 2

It's as it it's always been. 

While the music industry has changed almost beyond all recognition, one constant remains in that for every person creating something, there a thousand cheesy wankspangles trying to make a few quid of the back of their efforts while contributing nothing.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

This very much reminds me of a similar thing years ago when advertising in Autotrader. 

A company kept calling me saying they had a buyer for the car I had advertised. All I had to do was pay them £50 commission and they would put me in touch with the buyer. 

Sounds like a different variation of the same scam to me.

Or the one where aspiring models are approached by an agency who want to sign them, all they have to do is pay £300 for a professionally produced portfolio first.

As already stated above, if they're asking for money up front, it's a scam. 

• 4 weeks later...