Why become a member? ×

Pick up advice

Useless amateur

I am starting my first build and I am looking at pick ups. I have been looking at using these Wilkinson pickup

but on the sales forum I have seen these MIJ Fender pickup

the build is a precision that will be used for rock/punk stuff MOSTLY but not exclusively so I want it to have punch. Am I right in thinking the Wilkinson’s are the better bet for me please guys?

Many thanks

Jon

They’re great pickups. When I got the TB I thought I’d have to replace them to get a sound similar to my US Fender with Custom Shop pickups but no, the Wilkinson’s were near enough for me not to bother, and I’m very OCD about stuff like that.

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Check out the Kent Armstrong Vintage P pickup. I have always used them in basses (replacing the stock MIJ pickups).

If you like what you read, I have one that you are welcome to. Drop me a pm with your details and I'll send it to you.

Pm sent

Jon

3 hours ago, Maude said:

I would give these some serious consideration, 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233695059974

There definitely not vintage sounding if you wanted that Motown sound but for punk and a more aggressive, modern sound they're very good. Kind of like the Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder but with more mids I feel. 

If you want 'punchy' these are Mike Tyson.

• Like 1

I built a few bitsas years ago. I put a pair of Seymour Duncan quarter pounders in, and it just sounded like a mess. Nothing to do with the pick ups, but I hadn't taken any consideration into the pots etc. I'd seriously consider matching them the best you can to the pick ups you choose. It wasnt just a case of 'pick any and itll be great' unfortunately for me.