Why become a member? ×

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose

spectoremg

Definitely the best Lizzy album, along with Live And Dangerous IMO. 

I remember  buying the LP when it came out back in 1979. They were always a special band, and Black Rose was them at their best. Great playing and, above all, superb song writing. Phil Lynott was a superstar. Great memories.

• Like 2

I never really appreciated Lizzy until I subbed for a while in a mate's band who covered several of their songs. Then it all clicked. Yeah, the Black Rose album is something special, but the title track is utterly sublime, on a different level.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I never really appreciated Lizzy until I subbed for a while in a mate's band who covered several of their songs. Then it all clicked. Yeah, the Black Rose album is something special, but the title track is utterly sublime, on a different level.

As a wise man once said, people who think Emerald is Thin Lizzy's best song haven't heard Roisin Dubh.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, steantval said:

Lizzy are one of my all time favourite bands, seen them many times way back when.

I now try to see these guys perform whenever I can, the next best thing.

Limehouse Lizzy were the last live band I saw back in January - they are excellent.

25 minutes ago, howdenspur said:

Limehouse Lizzy were the last live band I saw back in January - they are excellent.

Agreed, they're very professional. If you can catch them on a doubleheader with Livewire (ACDC tribute) then it's a proper rocking night 🙂

Agreed re Limehouse Lizzy, they absolutely nail the sound and attitude.  The lefty guitarist does my head in - he has a lefty guitar strung for a right hander so the low E is at the bottom and plays upside down.

I'm an aging mod who loves ska, soul, punk, reggae and new wave. However, Lizzy was the first band I ever saw live, around the time of Bad Reputation. 

I clearly remember seeing them performing The Boys Are Back In Town on a long since forgotten TV show. Utterly stunned me. 

L&D is still my favourite live album (Vulfpeck at MSG a solid second), Johnny The Fox still in my all time favourite top 10 album list and Black Rose, for me, was their last great album. 

Some bands transcend all genre based consideration. I'd say Lizzy and AC/DC (Bon Scott era) exemplify this. 

• Like 1