Why become a member? ×

Famous guitarists' weak points..

Lfalex v1.1

1 minute ago, skankdelvar said:

Ritchie Blackmore's tendency to always eat the last jaffa cake.

Does that count?

If so may I offer up Django Reinhardt‘s inability to walk past a graveyard without popping in to clear up a bit, an activity that could take up to fourteen hours.

To be fair, any guitarist wearing long hair, an earring, or a stout neckchain, is giving away a weak point in unarmed combat.

Or a scarf, neck tie or neckerchief.

Or loose clothing such as a heavy jacket, particularly if up against a judo expert.

keith-richards-12-gq-4jan19_getty_b.jpg

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 2

I notice Paul Gilbert is in that list, I really wish he would address his ongoing obsession with blues and the pentatonic scale! 

I had read that Paul was not pleased with his performance on Jeff Berlin's 1986 album 'Pump it!', where he notably played on a cover of 'Crossroads'. Now it should be noted that Jeff took the two solos that you'd usually hear played in guitar, but Paul laid on some absolutely great shred licks in the background in a fashion that is inimitably his - the definition on each picked note is second to none! 

However, although I can't find the exact quote or source now, Paul had said he was a little embarrassed by what he could offer there as it showed him how little he knew of the 'blues language' and he put himself to study. 

I do rather think in the intervening 30-odd years he has gone too far with that. He can still play his derrière off and he does write the occasional banger still but I have found that the blues feel and sound became overpowering in his sound as the years went on. For a guy of that technical talent, I would have loved to hear him if he had chosen to study jazz harmony. 

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Spending quite a bit of time playing 40's and 50's blues, I know lots of folks who think that Gary Moore never grasped what the blues was about, too.

Not just me then!

I think Moore was a technically gifted player and his stuff with Thin Lizzy is great, but his blues work always leaves me cold. For a genre that's all about emotion and feel, I find his input to be really sterile.

Edited by Simon.

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Spending quite a bit of time playing 40's and 50's blues, I know lots of folks who think that Gary Moore never grasped what the blues was about, too.

I guess Gary is not the only one. That's the trouble with blues..... it might seem like it's a technical genre, but really it's not.... you need the feel first, the nyou can extend it with technique. Someone with the right feel can play a great blues with an open E chord and a couple of simple emelishments.

Many years ago, my parents bought me a place at residential "Blues Guitar" weekend workshop as a birthday present.... the guy teaching it had absolutely no concept that playing blues was anything other than  technical excercise. I was really dissapointed as I was hoping for some who would help us tap into our inner blues-person!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I guess Gary is not the only one. That's the trouble with blues..... it might seem like it's a technical genre, but really it's not.... you need the feel first, the nyou can extend it with technique. Someone with the right feel can play a great blues with an open E chord and a couple of simple emelishments.

Many years ago, my parents bought me a place at residential "Blues Guitar" weekend workshop as a birthday present.... the guy teaching it had absolutely no concept that playing blues was anything other than  technical excercise. I was really dissapointed as I was hoping for some who would help us tap into our inner blues-person!

Maybe he could have arranged for your wife or partner to have left you before the course started. That might have inspired you!

”if I didn’t have bad luck I wouldn’t have no luck at all...”

• Haha 1