Why become a member? ×

fair price for used Ibanez SR2400 ? or buy something else?

carl0s

Hi,

I am in the market for a 4 string 34" bass. I had a Lakland Skyline and sold it years ago (on here actually), and I had a Peavey Cirrus BXP (35") and sold that too. Wish I had kept one of them now (probably the Peavey, - it had a nice bubinga top on it, and was less of a financial tie-up if you get what I mean).

I have kept a Yamaha TRBX505 but it's a 5-stringer, which is great for some of the basslines I have really wanted to have a go at playing, so I will be keeping it, but I am pretty rubbish at playing, and at some point soon I want to put more time into learning, and think I would do better learning most stuff on a 4 string. Muting seems to be my biggest problem.

I'm ready to splurge up to £500 on something, but I want something a bit nice and special, and ideally a used-bargain where the depreciation hit has already been taken.

TBH, an Ibanez SR650E, such as the one that sold on eBay a month ago for ~£400, would be just the ticket I think.

There is an SR650 on at the moment but it's at £550 + £20 delivery, so only really about £48 below what I could get a brand new 650E for, (£618, free delivery) and I gather the E has a more flexile e.q. thing going on (mid-frequency selector type thing).

The only other thing that's caught my eye, and hence the topic of this message, is the SR2400 that somebody has for sale on eBay and Reverb. He wants £900 for it though. They are £1,180 new. It looks beautiful, has a much nicer body than the SR650E, and has some other 'better' tech I gather (titanium truss rod maybe? I haven't had a proper look). I'm just not sure I can throw that much money at this purchase though. Given how little time I have put towards these sorts of hobbies and interests, I'm not sure if I would be wiser sticking to something at the £400 - £450 used mark. Plus I fancy a Crumar Mojo when we're settled in the new house. But that SR2400 is sexy.

What do you think about £900 for an SR2400? It's only 4 months old apparently.

I did make an offer of £795 on it, and I would have stuck to that (it's binding anyway when sent through eBay), but even at that, I was thinking 'uuhh what're you doing', but I would have got over it. I do have the money, it's just, the future is pretty uncertain and we're moving house and stuff, and my tax bill, etc. The seller counter-offered at £895 though.

Edited by carl0s

4 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Dont sound like a huge amout off? - 9 is alot more than 5... almost double... Whats ya real budget?

looks like bigger savings, in percentage terms to be had on the likes of a SH SR500, SR600, SR650...

I think your sentiment is the same as mine.. it doesn't feel like a bargain, and that's what was going to make me spend >£700.

My no-worries budget is £400. I would spend £700 - £750 for something a bit special.

I already made a binding offer to pay ~£800 (actually I think after a beer last night I offered £845.. and had he accepted, then I would have handed over £845 + £20 delivery and it'd be on its way).

As it stands, I think I'll just wait for something (s/h) to come along between £400 and £700. I think £850 to £900 is too much for that SR2400.

The SR2400 Retails for 1499us. I sold an amp to a very talented local Bass Player and he used SR2400 to check it out; The Bass sounded great also was finish and built seemed top notch in price range. So your offer seemed fair based on #1180 , you should be able to get minimum 25-30% off street price on any used piece of equipment no matter how 'Mint';  since patience's and/or good negotiating skill can get you 15-20% off Brand New on production equipment. 

Edited by Nebadon2000
spelling

Thanks Ebenezer. I have heard pretty much everybody rate the Nordstrands. Not that I am even sure I am worthy of making a judgement on specifics like this. I suppose, from my point of view, I want to learn these things (to play the instruments), and I want to not have a niggle in my mind that I have started out with bad hardware and don't know any better. So I try to buy the best, within some kind of level of reason (budget I suppose, but more than that.. lots of research!). But at the same time I know I have interests or obsessions about being able to do things (mostly music, but some other things), yet I end up giving no time to learning or practicing them. That's what I was trying to allude to earlier.. it's not so much the price, but rather, the balance between bargain, quality and utilisation. I am happy to spend £1,000 if I know it is such a good deal that I could always move it on or such a special item, vs, spending £600 on something that devalues for every day that I don't use it.

I want to learn piano too, and I bought a Kawai CS8. I was giving it some attention while I was single, then I met a girl. It's been 3 years now, and I have forgotten all I learned (about the piano!). but I am comfortable that I made a smart purchase. it's a good bit of kit, good enough to pass as a proper piano, and when I sort my priorities out it will still be there waiting for me. in the meantime it looks nice, and any time anybody comes to the house who can play properly, they will be pleased to play on it.

Edited by carl0s
apostrophe. arrgh.

I have an sr600 (cost about 500) and just bought a sr306eb for under 300 quid. Both great basses. You could get a sr1200 as stated above. Upgraded pickups and hardware on the sr600. Or just do what I plan on doing and put nordy big singles in my sr600😀

Edited by horrorshowbass