Why become a member? ×

Lakland quality

Johngh

1 hour ago, TJ1 said:

Were you able to compare the Skyline directly against a USA made Lakland?

For me there's something intriguling attractive about a guitar costs £3,000,(but looks the same/similar to a £1,000 one), for me this price tag spells mysterious, untold magic.

But, then I am idiot.

Not that I recall, but I was trying stuff within my budget (Sad Metro, Dingwall Combustion, used EBMM).

I guess a big argument for going the USA route over the Indonesian Skylines is a theoretical guarantee that you’ll be getting a perfect bass in every way, since it will be hand built by highly skilled craftsmen.

Except that isn’t necessarily true. The USA folk can make mistakes too. If I remember correctly, @Quatschmacher had a bit of an issue with a custom order? Was it the neck pocket?

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

I guess a big argument for going the USA route over the Indonesian Skylines is a theoretical guarantee that you’ll be getting a perfect bass in every way, since it will be hand built by highly skilled craftsmen.

Except that isn’t necessarily true. The USA folk can make mistakes too. If I remember correctly, @Quatschmacher had a bit of an issue with a custom order? Was it the neck pocket?

Yep, and due to Corona I still haven’t managed to get out to Jon Shuker to pick it up. It’s been quite an ordeal (time wise, that is; Lakland were very commendable in footing all costs involved in rectifying the issue). Just hope it’s working now.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

USA folk can definitely screw the pooch, look at Gibson quality in recent years 😱. Back with Lakland, IIRC, the Skyline models come via the US, although that might’ve changed.

Correct; the Skylines are built in Indonesia but go back to the US before hitting retailers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I would be interested to hear @three's thoughts on the differences between the USA and Skyline basses. The USA I bought from him is just stunningly good, clearly better in fit and finish than the couple of Skyline's I've tried since, but I'm aware that's only a couple of comparisons so I don't think I'm in a position to judge.

I wish I could help here but, as far as I remember, I've only played US Laklands.  My interest in Lakland DJs was piqued this week as I learned (on here) that they have a slightly scaled-down body.  Something that would interest me as I don't get on well with full size J bodies (I should seek one out and the vast majority seem to be Skylines).  The US mentioned above is an amazing bass in every respect.  I like a really (truly really) low action and the PJ was able to take this without a murmur - fabulous craft-work, fit, finish and playability!  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chris_b said:

Seriously?

The reason that manufacturing moves from a "western" country to any country in Asia is 100% about cost. Low wages, non-existent workers rights, low taxes etc. The Chinese can put a man on the Moon, and get him back again. There's nothing wrong with Chinese ability, but their workers are on very low wages and in the case of the Uighurs, probably no wages at all. The reason the Cort factory moved from South Korea to Indonesia was poor working conditions, low wages and aggressive management. So low wages, poor factory conditions and, lack of workers rights are the reason we have low cost items in our shops. 

I was made redundant in 2005, when my job was outsourced to South Africa. I told my manager that I would work for the same salary as the South Africans, and was told, I could work for nothing and, with all the regulatory stuff, NI, sick and holiday pay etc, I would still be too expensive in comparison.

Old chestnut my derrière.

Chris, me old China. I'm very serious.  Sorry to hear about your job, but those opinions expressed by you there are very out of date and out of touch with reality. It's not 100% about the cost. I suggest you do your research instead of judging by outdated stereotypes and what you read in the tabloids.

Edited by TheLowDown