Beedster

Tried listening to Yes today.....

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Is it? Gates of Delirium is..?

I didn't know that.

I just make up my own little stories in my head. The voices tell me what to think :D

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I took this thread in the spirit it was intended and I to tried a bit of Yes. 

No, just no. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I took this thread in the spirit it was intended and I to tried a bit of Yes. 

No, just no. 

It doesn't make you a bad person :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

It doesn't make you a bad person :laugh1:

I agree. Not bad. Just limited. 

• Haha 1

@Beedster Funnily enough my 16 year old son grabbed me a couple of months ago and said, Dad I've just heard an awesome track you might like. It's called Roundabout. Imagine my pride 😊 maybe that means musical taste is in your genes 😂

But you should also listen to Heart of the Sunrise. Turn it up good and loud and marinate in the sumptuous soundscape! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 4000 said:

Strangely for such a big Genesis fan, I’d never listened to Tony’s solo albums. Having just listened to A Curious Feeling, I found it just captured all the bits of Tony that I’m not keen on; it veers from incredibly bland to too twee, IMO, apart from the odd bit that sounds like a rejected outtake from ATTWT.

7 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

A Curious Feeling is a lovely album, let down a little by the production.

There's a wonderful little film from 1978 called The Shout.  It's usually pegged as a horror film,  but that's not really doing it justice.

Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford wrote the soundtrack and From The Undertow is the main theme of the film. It suits the surreal mood perfectly.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

There's a wonderful little film from 1978 called The Shout.  It's usually pegged as a horror film,  but that's not really doing it justice.

Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford wrote the soundtrack and From The Undertow is the main theme of the film. It suits the surreal mood perfectly.

IIRC, FTU was going to be the lead in to Undertow (hence the title) on ATTWT, but was left off. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Is it? Gates of Delirium is..?

I thought that was loosely based on War and Peace. 

• Like 1

Just now, 4000 said:

I thought that was loosely based on War and Peace. 

Yeah, inspired by what was going on in Vietnam.

Just now, wateroftyne said:

Yeah, inspired by what was going on in Vietnam.

So kind of Vietnam War & Peace. 😉

8 hours ago, 4000 said:

Jon says he just chooses words for how they sound in context, which is different to most people’s approach. I really like the slightly abstract feel they have. 

Have to say, in terms of Genesis solo albums, I rather like Anthony Phillips’ stuff. 

For me, Jon Andersons far-out lyrics are offset by his down-to-earth strong  Lancashire accent.

Listening  back to those classic Yes albums now, it really strikes me how, contrary to their reputation as overblown prog dinosaurs, the band sounds edgy and raw , especially compared to equivalent acts nowadays. They may do a lot of extended tracks, but as musicians they know how to be concise and to-the-point. And Chris Squire's bass sounds epic. 

'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 16:34, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Depends why you want to ditch the PLX.

I most recently used an Ampeg SVP Pro into a PLX1202 (bridged) Sounded great through my old Trace cabinet/s

So much more control than my Trace Head.

I'm not sure that many heads can match a decent PA power amp for sheer grunt and cone control. 

Yes are totally beautiful. Jon is our guide. Chris has left, and I am gutted. Chris, Jon, Bill, Tony and peter changed my life.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Steve Soar said:

Yes are totally beautiful. Jon is our guide. Chris has left, and I am gutted. Chris, Jon, Bill, Tony and peter changed my life.

Think your post might have copied the wrong message for your comment @Steve Soar. They don't seem related.

I might be wrong and just not follow your thinking ?

Dave

On 05/10/2020 at 19:22, Leonard Smalls said:

As you say, Yes is for people who don't dance. Or understand what it is to dance. Or what you would actually do if you wanted to dance; I remember 'em at school discos, with their pristine denim jackets their mum had sewed a Yes patch on, looking absolutely mortified if Sarah Jones came up and said "come 'ed'n'dance wiv us!".

However, us young punkers would also be suitably appalled if said Sarah asked us - mainly because in those days, as a wannabe cool newpunkwaver with our homemade bumflaps, you didn't dance to Oops Upside Your Head because it was Deeply Uncool. But jumping up and down to "Saturday Night Under A Plastic Palm Tree" somehow was... (It wasn't really!)

My experience, totally.