Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

Miles who?

Miles is a great example of personal marmite. I LOOOOOVE some of what he did and hate a lot of it too. That 70s stuff he did does nothing for me. I have never 'got' what the fuss was about 'beaches Brew'. Love his stuff with Gil Evans, love the classic quintets, ambivalent about the Marcus Miller era and so on. I guess all these bands are the same in that respect. Like 70s Yes, don't like Rabin. Like Genesis pre-Collins, post-Gabriel between this LP and that one and so on. Like the original Soft Machine but not the later versions, hate the orginal Colosseum but love Colosseum II. Love Lord of The Rings films, hate The Hobbit movies. Love Stephen King's Dark Tower series, hate the latest novel. Such is life.

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 2

Just now, Bilbo said:

Miles who?

Miles is a great example of personal marmite. I LOOOOOVE some of what he did and hate a lot of it too. That 70s stuff he did does nothing for me. I have never 'got' what the fuss was about 'beaches Brew'. Love his stuff with Gil Evans, love the classic quintets, ambivalent about the Marcus Miller era and so on. I guess all these bands are the same in that respect. Like 70s Yes, don't like Rabin. Like Genesis pre-Collins, post-Gabriel between this LP and that one and so on. Like the original Soft Machine but not the later versions, hate the orginal Colosseum but love Colosseum II. Love Lord of The Rings films, hate The Hobbit movies. Love Stephen King's Dark Tower series, hate the latest novel. Such is life.

Absolutely, I love early Miles by the way, the later stuff makes more sense to me, but I like it less. Topical, but Van Halen without Dave Lee Roth were not, to my mind anything like as good as the real Van Halen. Others will disagree :)

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I have never 'got' what the fuss was about 'beaches Brew'. 

Tangentially, I didn't get "In a Silent Way", but "Bïtches Brew" sat immediately and 'explained' the former to me.
Later, my composition teacher told me how he didn't get "Bïtches Brew", but "In a Silent Way" sat immediately and 'explained' BB to him.

Funny how these things go.

BTW, because of this thread, I played tDSotM again, and it still 'does' absolutely nothing for me - exactly like the very first time I heard it when we had a gathering for listening concentratedly to it when it just had been released.
Then, I didn't make it to the end, and today I had to force myself to make it.

Edited by BassTractor

Why not try listening to the Yeggles album Drama and see what you think.

Pretty sure we will all disagree on the success of that album but it might be a more mellow introduction to Yes if there is such a thing.

I personally quite enjoyed the album.

Here's a taster

Dave

3 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

BTW, because of this thread, I played tDSotM again, and it still 'does' absolutely nothing for me - just like the very first time I heard it when we had a gathering just to listen concentratedly to it when it just had been released.
Then, I didn't make it to the end, and today I had to force myself to make it.

Back in my younger days i had a better imagination and could get into albums far easier. Nowadays i just like a good tune.

I think if i heard DSOTM today for the first time my attitude towards it may be different. 

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

For me, the appalling drums on Script for a Jester's Tear make it pretty much unlistenable -- Fugazi was a quantum leap forward in quality. My favourite Fish-era Marillo album is Clutching At Straws.

For me the first 4 Marillion albums with Fish were amazing. The musical love affair of my life. I actually like them in the order they came out. I was a big fan from before they had a record deal so the first album was rather special (although the production was terrible!). 

I think they are a great band with Hogarth still, I just don't enjoy the music all that much personally.

13 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Why not try listening to the Yeggles album Drama and see what you think.

Pretty sure we will all disagree on the success of that album but it might be a more mellow introduction to Yes if there is such a thing.

I personally quite enjoyed the album.

Here's a taster

Dave

Keep up at the back! 🙂

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Miles is a great example of personal marmite. I LOOOOOVE some of what he did and hate a lot of it too. That 70s stuff he did does nothing for me. I have never 'got' what the fuss was about 'beaches Brew'. Love his stuff with Gil Evans, love the classic quintets, ambivalent about the Marcus Miller era and so on.

Funnily enough,though I like all his 60s acoustical "straight ahead" type stuff,I much prefer his output from Silent Way on. And I absolutely love Man with the Horn with Marcus, and even Doo Bop!

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I suggested this to Chris right at the top of the thread... have a look back through for his thoughts.

I must have missed that and i've been following this from the start too.

Lets put it down to my age and poor memory. :laugh1:

Dave 

15 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I suggested this to Chris right at the top of the thread... have a look back through for his thoughts.

Have to say that as the result I now like Yes more than was the case at about 2.00pm last Saturday. I think i need to pull together a good playlist to be honest. Also, playing the parts has always worked for me, I've had to play music by several bands that I really didn't like at the time, only to find that, as if by magic, they've grown on me. Might get to grips with some of CS's lines, many of which are stunning :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Odd post Mikel, it's exactly because people (like you) say things like the first paragraph above that I made what you clearly see as the error you describe in the second. If it is the ultimate prog album, I want to understand why. And to clarify, I came at it with exactly the right attitude, and given that like so many people in this thread I love the music of Rush, it's certainly not a genre issue.

I didn't like Miles Davis at all (did everyone sense Bilbo's attention being drawn back in just then?), I seriously had to try to like his music. Reading about it, listening to it with people who love it and could describe why in emotional and not mechanistic terms, and trying to overcome prejudice (musical, not colour I hasten to add) based on my musical experience and preferences to that point, all mean that much to my daughters' annoyance, Sunday PM in the kitchen tends to be Miles Davis time for Daddy, replacing Sunday morning which tends to be Taylor Swift. 

So, I reserve the right to try and like something that previously I didn't. 

The first paragraph was in response to another poster thinking Yes were trying to sound like other bands. I was not suggesting you should not broaden your musical horizons but I read it as "I must try and like this". Probably my mistake.

37 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Have to say that as the result I now like Yes more than was the case at about 2.00pm last Saturday. I think i need to pull together a good playlist to be honest. Also, playing the parts has always worked for me, I've had to play music by several bands that I really didn't like at the time, only to find that, as if by magic, they've grown on me. Might get to grips with some of CS's lines, many of which are stunning :)

You don't need to like everything they've done (or anything for that matter) but at least you've opened your mind to the possibility of enjoying something "new" .

If you find something you like and enjoy then you've won a watch, if not then nothing lost.

Dave

On another side how about something a little bit "lighter" than Yes.

This is Starcastle a band from the early 70's that obviously copied the Yes sound but had shorter songs and probably a bit more melodic and easier to listen to. That's just my own opinion of course.

9 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Re: Post-Relayer Yes and post-Gabriel Genesis, How can you personally prefer something if you haven’t heard the alternative...?

You’re missing some iconic music there...

Can't agree more re Genesis, A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are two of their best albums.