Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

47 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

This may be a taste of what the shows could be; it helps, then, when listening to the disks to better make the connections between the music, the lyrics, the ambience and the visuals...

Agreed. Saw them in 72 and 73. Awesome shows. The music was flawless and Gabriel was on top form. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Most blues bands, about 75% of the Grateful Dead's output, anything well played that has warmth and passion behind it. My introduction to music that wasn't on the radio was back in about 1973/4 when Virgin released Gong's Camembert Electrique album for about 50p. I have loved Gong and their offshoots ever since, though stopped buying anything after Daevid Allen left though I still see them when they are on tour. I have a ticket tp see them with the Ozrics in Oxford in November.

Wired differently as you say... I'm so bored of I IV V (blues changes) or ii V I (jazz changes) so Yes, Genesis, and the whole oeuvre of prog/fusion is such a welcome harmonic and rhythmic diversion. Then we get to the '00's textural revolution of AphexTwin, Chemical Brothers, Squarepusher and Radio Head moving the spirit on... wonderful!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Most blues bands, about 75% of the Grateful Dead's output, anything well played that has warmth and passion behind it. My introduction to music that wasn't on the radio was back in about 1973/4 when Virgin released Gong's Camembert Electrique album for about 50p. I have loved Gong and their offshoots ever since, though stopped buying anything after Daevid Allen left though I still see them when they are on tour. I have a ticket tp see them with the Ozrics in Oxford in November.

Ah, right. Yes, certainly wired differently to me then. I don’t really like most blues (there are some exceptions, like Peter Green) and although I’ve tried many times - since the ‘80s in fact - on the recommendations of others, I just can’t seem to enjoy any of the GD’s output.

Strangely enough - which I guess shows how differently we perceive these things - it’s the warmth and passion of Yes that I love! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Ah, right. Yes, certainly wired differently to me then. I don’t really like most blues (there are some exceptions, like Peter Green) and although I’ve tried many times - since the ‘80s in fact - on the recommendations of others, I just can’t seem to enjoy any of the GD’s output.

Strangely enough - which I guess shows how differently we perceive these things - it’s the warmth and passion of Yes that I love! 

Different strokes, for sure. If we all liked the same thing, music would quickly become very stale.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/08/2022 at 15:36, stewblack said:

Yeah, but, if we all liked what I liked I'd be quite happy 😊

I reckon you'd need to find something else to like!

All joking aside, I think part of my initial reluctance with Yes was that EVERYONE who I played music with in my formative years loved them (mostly folks a few years older than me). This I'm sure meant that they were always going to disappoint just as I found with Genesis and a lot of the other bands at the prog/art interface in the 70's (e.g., Floyd). I found that I wanted to like the bands that the other (mostly rock) muso's didn't like, so I found myself listening to Kraftwerk and a few of the other German bands (Amon Duul II, Tangerine Dream etc), to Hawkwind, Man, ELP, all of whom seemed a little more accessible. I think it started some long-standing biases re Yes and Genesis :(    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

All joking aside, I think part of my initial reluctance with Yes was that EVERYONE who I played music with in my formative years loved them (mostly folks a few years older than me). This I'm sure meant that they were always going to disappoint just as I found with Genesis and a lot of the other bands at the prog/art interface in the 70's (e.g., Floyd). I found that I wanted to like the bands that the other (mostly rock) muso's didn't like, so I found myself listening to Kraftwerk and a few of the other German bands (Amon Duul II, Tangerine Dream etc), to Hawkwind, Man, ELP, all of whom seemed a little more accessible. I think it started some long-standing biases re Yes and Genesis :(    

Absolutely echoes my own experience - people were so fervent about Yes and Genesis, but the music completely failed to move me at all. Krautrock and Hawkwind, Gong, etc. were much more to my taste - along with a lifelong interest in Blues - Rory Gallagher, Hendrix, Robin Trower were my teenage influences.

Still can't stand the likes of Genesis and Yes.

I’ve had to bail on my Yes odyssey after listening to “Close To The Edge”. There’s a couple of songs on each of the first four albums I liked but not enough to properly draw me in. And they tended to be the songs that kept the noodly riffage to a minimum. Brilliant musicians, all of them, can’t argue with that, and I’m glad I gave them a listen, but my curiosity is satisfied for now at least. 

However if my meds wear off I might give Rick Wakeman’s “Arthur On Ice” a listen, just for laughs. Whilst wearing a cape, obviously. 

8 minutes ago, meterman said:

I’ve had to bail on my Yes odyssey after listening to “Close To The Edge”. There’s a couple of songs on each of the first four albums I liked but not enough to properly draw me in. And they tended to be the songs that kept the noodly riffage to a minimum. Brilliant musicians, all of them, can’t argue with that, and I’m glad I gave them a listen, but my curiosity is satisfied for now at least. 

However if my meds wear off I might give Rick Wakeman’s “Arthur On Ice” a listen, just for laughs. Whilst wearing a cape, obviously. 

Wakeman’s Journey to the Centre of the Earth is marvellous (or at least I used to think so, it’s been a while since I listened to it) and Six Wives is quite good too (previous, bracketed statement applies again). King Arthur wasn’t nearly as good, IMO and doing it on ice was whimsical in the extreme, although this may have been done to distract the audience from the less than stellar music and performance (some of the singing was woefully pitchy IIRC).

• Like 2

Just come across this - a TV programme from 71/72 of early YES (the Fragile period when Wakeman had just joined), following a British small hall tour before they went off to conquer the States. 

Bruford comes across as a bit of an entitled posh boy and Anderson is surprisingly down to earth, but fascinating stuff... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, peteb said:

Just come across this - a TV programme from 71/72 of early YES (the Fragile period when Wakeman had just joined), following a British small hall tour before they went off to conquer the States. 

Bruford comws across as a bit of an entitled posh boy and Anderson is surprisingly down to earth, but fascinating stuff... 

They all seemed to emphasise how well-spoken they all were back then - apart from Jon and Rick of course!

Chris definitely softened over the years, and listening to Bill Bruford on The Rockonteurs the other day suggests he's mellowed quite a bit too.

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

They all seemed to emphasise how well-spoken they all were back then - apart from Jon and Rick of course!

Chris definitely softened over the years, and listening to Bill Bruford on The Rockonteurs the other day suggests he's mellowed quite a bit too.

I must admit that I formed an opinion on Bruford when I read his autobiography where he came across as a whiny, entitled public schoolboy, with petty gripes against his former colleagues and that he seemed amazed that the band didn’t fall over themselves to throw money at him when he left them in the lurch when they were about to go out on tour promoting Close to the Edge. It’s the entitlement rather than the schooling or his background that I took against. 

Chris Squire was a funny one as his dad was a taxi driver, but he went to a minor public school and sang in a choir that performed at St Paul’s, etc. A massive personality and a very influential musician.

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1