Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

@Beedster Funnily enough my 16 year old son grabbed me a couple of months ago and said, Dad I've just heard an awesome track you might like. It's called Roundabout. Imagine my pride 😊 maybe that means musical taste is in your genes 😂

But you should also listen to Heart of the Sunrise. Turn it up good and loud and marinate in the sumptuous soundscape! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 4000 said:

Strangely for such a big Genesis fan, I’d never listened to Tony’s solo albums. Having just listened to A Curious Feeling, I found it just captured all the bits of Tony that I’m not keen on; it veers from incredibly bland to too twee, IMO, apart from the odd bit that sounds like a rejected outtake from ATTWT.

7 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

A Curious Feeling is a lovely album, let down a little by the production.

There's a wonderful little film from 1978 called The Shout.  It's usually pegged as a horror film,  but that's not really doing it justice.

Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford wrote the soundtrack and From The Undertow is the main theme of the film. It suits the surreal mood perfectly.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

There's a wonderful little film from 1978 called The Shout.  It's usually pegged as a horror film,  but that's not really doing it justice.

Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford wrote the soundtrack and From The Undertow is the main theme of the film. It suits the surreal mood perfectly.

IIRC, FTU was going to be the lead in to Undertow (hence the title) on ATTWT, but was left off. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4000 said:

Jon says he just chooses words for how they sound in context, which is different to most people’s approach. I really like the slightly abstract feel they have. 

Have to say, in terms of Genesis solo albums, I rather like Anthony Phillips’ stuff. 

For me, Jon Andersons far-out lyrics are offset by his down-to-earth strong  Lancashire accent.

Listening  back to those classic Yes albums now, it really strikes me how, contrary to their reputation as overblown prog dinosaurs, the band sounds edgy and raw , especially compared to equivalent acts nowadays. They may do a lot of extended tracks, but as musicians they know how to be concise and to-the-point. And Chris Squire's bass sounds epic. 

'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 16:34, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Depends why you want to ditch the PLX.

I most recently used an Ampeg SVP Pro into a PLX1202 (bridged) Sounded great through my old Trace cabinet/s

So much more control than my Trace Head.

I'm not sure that many heads can match a decent PA power amp for sheer grunt and cone control. 

Yes are totally beautiful. Jon is our guide. Chris has left, and I am gutted. Chris, Jon, Bill, Tony and peter changed my life.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Steve Soar said:

Yes are totally beautiful. Jon is our guide. Chris has left, and I am gutted. Chris, Jon, Bill, Tony and peter changed my life.

Think your post might have copied the wrong message for your comment @Steve Soar. They don't seem related.

I might be wrong and just not follow your thinking ?

Dave

On 05/10/2020 at 19:22, Leonard Smalls said:

As you say, Yes is for people who don't dance. Or understand what it is to dance. Or what you would actually do if you wanted to dance; I remember 'em at school discos, with their pristine denim jackets their mum had sewed a Yes patch on, looking absolutely mortified if Sarah Jones came up and said "come 'ed'n'dance wiv us!".

However, us young punkers would also be suitably appalled if said Sarah asked us - mainly because in those days, as a wannabe cool newpunkwaver with our homemade bumflaps, you didn't dance to Oops Upside Your Head because it was Deeply Uncool. But jumping up and down to "Saturday Night Under A Plastic Palm Tree" somehow was... (It wasn't really!)

My experience, totally.

• 1 year later...
On 04/10/2020 at 13:28, PaulThePlug said:

Stuck the Yesstory Compilation on my mp3 player a while back when a Yes post prompted me. It had been i while since i listened to it, and i found it quite hard work. I'll give it another try this wet n windy afternoon...

Zappa anyone?

Tried again today... Still Hard Work... perhaps just not for me.

(Stripping it back to basics with some Black Keys to give my ears a rest...)

Edited by PaulThePlug

I’ve tried a few times to get into Yes. My mates dad was in them and he was always saying “you really need to hear the early stuff” but I just never got it at all. 

I do generally struggle with prog though. Some of the Pink Floyd records I do like. The Syd Barrett era, and just after. But things like early Genesis, VDGG, King Crimson, ELP, Rush... I think I’m just too ‘caveman’ to get it. 

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Tried again today... Still Hard Work... perhaps just not for me.

(Stripping it back to basics with some Black Keys to give my ears a rest...)

I like Yes, a lot, but some of it really leaves me cold and or irritated (shades of, “Shut up! We know you can play,”). Take any bits you like and stick with them.

2 minutes ago, meterman said:

I’ve tried a few times to get into Yes. My mates dad was in them and he was always saying “you really need to hear the early stuff” but I just never got it at all. 

I do generally struggle with prog though. Some of the Pink Floyd records I do like. The Syd Barrett era, and just after. But things like early Genesis, VDGG, King Crimson, ELP, Rush... I think I’m just too ‘caveman’ to get it. 

I really like the pre Steve Howe era Yes, Banks & Kaye definitely had something going on that I found and still find pleasing. Yesterdays is a intro to that era, with only 1 Howe, Wakeman era track, a cover of America, which is sublime. YMMV. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I like Yes, a lot, but some of it really leaves me cold and or irritated (shades of, “Shut up! We know you can play,”). Take any bits you like and stick with them.

I really like the pre Steve Howe era Yes, Banks & Kaye definitely had something going on that I found and still find pleasing. Yesterdays is a intro to that era, with only 1 Howe, Wakeman era track, a cover of America, which is sublime. YMMV. 

It might only be “Roundabout” that I like? Might have to do an Open University prog degree and try them again 👍

11 minutes ago, meterman said:

It might only be “Roundabout” that I like? Might have to do an Open University prog degree and try them again 👍

If you like Roundabout, I’d have thought I’ve Seen All Good People might appeal and perhaps Siberian Khatru. Then there’s the Trevor Rabin era Yes, very different. At the end of the day, it’s different strokes for different folks, which is a good thing, I had to take a few swings at Yes to find the bits I liked. I think because of Chris Squire, bass players want to like Yes, much like Geddy and Rush, but sometimes the genre, or particular band aren’t for you. There’s certainly nothing you’re missing in terms of musical education (for want of a better term), it’s just not your cup of tea (other beverages are available).

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I really like the pre Steve Howe era Yes, Banks & Kaye definitely had something going on that I found and still find pleasing. Yesterdays is a intro to that era, with only 1 Howe, Wakeman era track, a cover of America, which is sublime.

Yesshows was my introduction to Yes proper (after hearing Wondrous Stories on the radio). Squire's bass solo in Ritual was something I'd never heard the like of before (and for quite a while I thought is was being played on guitar). I started with the Steve Howe era and for years the classic line up of Howe, Wakeman, White, Squire and Anderson was the only one that counted for me. When it happened, the music of the 90125 line up didn't do it for me and I preferred ABWH to the other lot when both bands were touring. But lately, I have grown to love the pre Howe stuff (I have Yesterdays and the BBC sessions CD). Particular favourites include 'No Opportunity' and their cover of 'Every Little Thing'. I recently bought the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman live CD and I really like the interpretations they've put on the classic Yes songs. I haven't really been that impressed with the current line-up touring as Yes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meterman said:

It might only be “Roundabout” that I like?

Maybe so.
To me it feels like that if you do like Roundabout, there must be other Yes songs for you. Have you heard "South Side of the Sky"  -  also from "Fragile"?
Another possibility, as @ezbass says, might be "Siberian Khatru" off "Close to the Edge", and I feel a third one possibly could be "Sound Chaser" off "Relayer".
I was wondering whether you've heard their songs many or few times, coz I gather there's a difference.

Me, I started my Yes career listening to "Yes" and "Time and a Word" and not buying them, stating to the startled girl behind the counter that the music was nice, but "they sing too much." 😄 

• Like 1