Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

4 hours ago, bnt said:

TfTO is a lot, but there’s a lot of good stuff in there. You should try it, but my advice is to pace yourself. Reviewers treated it like a standard album and tried to listen to the whole shebang in one sitting, which isn’t a good idea in my opinion. For example, The Remembering features some of Rick Wakeman’s all time best work. 

I agree, one should try to listen to it in whatever fashion suits, before moving swiftly on to The Rubettes.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2020 at 14:02, Bilbo said:

I love OFTV. One of my favourite Genesis tracks and the one that made me realise that almost all of the tunes I prefer are Tony Banks compositions. I think A Curious Feeling is THE greatest Prog album ever. Have you heard this Genesis B-side? 

Strangely for such a big Genesis fan, I’d never listened to Tony’s solo albums. Having just listened to A Curious Feeling, I found it just captured all the bits of Tony that I’m not keen on; it veers from incredibly bland to too twee, IMO, apart from the odd bit that sounds like a rejected outtake from ATTWT.

Just now, Bilbo said:

Maybe the bits you don't like are the bits that I do :)

Probably!😂

I was discussing this recently with a friend; we like some of the same bands for completely different reasons. There’s often an assumption that the reasons will be the same. 

Back when I was a youngster  in the late  1970's and just starting out on the bass, Yes epitomised overblown pretentious prog rock. Or so we were told. 

Listening now without the fashionable prejudices of those days ( which still proliferate), at their best, Yes were super- hip. Tracks like Heart Of the Sunrise, Close To The Edge, Roundabout ect still sound fresh and fearlessly experimental. I would venture that if a new young band with a contemporary  image  came on the scene today and made those tracks they would be lauded as creative geniuses.  Modern bands like Muse or Radiohead cannot get close to the  virtuosity and invention of Yes in their prime, and back in the early 1970's  Yes were their  cultural equivalent. 

Jon Andersons' lyrics are definitely a bit strange though, I must admit. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Back when I was a youngster  in the late  1970's and just starting out on the bass, Yes epitomised overblown pretentious prog rock. Or so we were told. 

Listening now without the fashionable prejudices of those days ( which still proliferate), at their best, Yes were super- hip. Tracks like Heart Of the Sunrise, Close To The Edge, Roundabout ect still sound fresh and fearlessly experimental. I would venture that if a new young band with a contemporary  image  came on the scene today and made those tracks they would be lauded as creative geniuses.  Modern bands like Muse or Radiohead cannot get close to the  virtuosity and invention of Yes in their prime, and back in the early 1970's  Yes were their  cultural equivalent. 

Jon Andersons' lyrics are definitely a bit strange though, I must admit. 

Jon says he just chooses words for how they sound in context, which is different to most people’s approach. I really like the slightly abstract feel they have. 

Have to say, in terms of Genesis solo albums, I rather like Anthony Phillips’ stuff. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

I never took to Tony's solo albums either. I couldn't really put my finger on why.

Its been many years since listening to them but from memory i think i found the songs a bit samey.

Might need to have another listen now that i'm a bit older and more mellow.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Don't think of them as words. They're just a flow of consciousness. Or something.

Oddly enough that's how i listen to Yes lyrics. More as a melody than a storyline. When i was young i was able to imagine all sorts of weird and wonderful stories behind the lyrics but i guess that was Wonderous Stories :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough that's how i listen to Yes lyrics. More as a melody than a storyline. When i was young i was able to imagine all sorts of weird and wonderful stories behind the lyrics but i guess that was Wonderous Stories :laugh1:

Dave

I was informed by some publication, back in the day, that Yours is No Disgrace was about the Vietnam War?????

4 hours ago, 4000 said:

Jon says he just chooses words for how they sound in context

So not unlike most politicians?

In music I like the human voice as an often extraordinarily expressive and evocative lead instrument as opposed to a conveyor of language or meaning, so Jon’s approach works for me. I think it’s been mentioned previously in this thread or elsewhere, but if you write down the lyrics to most songs you quickly realise that they’re nothing but complete bollocks anyway :) 

• Like 1