Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

23 hours ago, KevB said:

I don't do much recommendation stuff but based on your list, if you are not familiar with them then maybe worth checking out Pallas, especially The Sentinel album

I bought the Sentinel on vinyl on its day of release!

Neo prog is my favourite thing. Great Patrick Woodroffe artwork as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmz said:

Not an original composition but Lordy isn’t Chris’s tone and playing off the scale good on this track. Wonder if it’s his 21 fretter Rick on here ?

Steve Howes’ playing not too shabby either - well worth a listen.

Play LOUD ☺️

I love the Nice's treatment of Bernstein's song of the same name:

6 hours ago, dmz said:

Not an original composition but Lordy isn’t Chris’s tone and playing off the scale good on this track. Wonder if it’s his 21 fretter Rick on here ?

Steve Howes’ playing not too shabby either - well worth a listen.

Play LOUD ☺️

I love this version. Chris and his bass sound and his high harmonies. Superb.

So I've found an album by Yes that I like pretty much the whole way through, appropriately enough The Yes Album. Funny thing is that while I find JA's voice a bit flowery in later albums, there are times on this album when it could almost be Sting (and did I impose my perception onto the music, or are some of the drums and guitars even a little Police-ish.....). There's also hints of early Plant in there as well. It's a bit 60's flower power at times, but that's no bad thing.

As per the post above, Yours in no Disgrace and Starship Trooper stand out, I've Seen All The Good People is pretty decent, the almost southern boogie from 3.30ish was certainly not signalled by the rest of the song. 

One thing about this album is that whilst I prefer the songs and arrangements musically, the bass appears nothing like as prominent a part of the Yes thing; it's high in the mix and very well played of course, it's just not the key instrument it became later. 

It's been worth the journey, thanks y'all :)

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Me too but, for some reason, I never got into it. Love Patrick W, though. Had for years before this album came out. Have you seen his Web page? 

http://www.patrickwoodroffe-world.com/

Yeah, I always kept track of him. His Mythopoeikon (er .... not sure I spelled that right?) was one of the most important books of my youth, as was The Pentateuch of the cosmology (book illustrations, not the terrible Greenslade music!). I'm creating an illustration to put on my bass at the moment and the eyes I drew were influenced by Patrick!

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

So I've found an album by Yes that I like pretty much the whole way through, appropriately enough The Yes Album. Funny thing is that while I find JA's voice a bit flowery in later albums, there are times on this album when it could almost be Sting (and did I impose my perception onto the music, or are some of the drums and guitars even a little Police-ish.....). There's also hints of early Plant in there as well. It's a bit 60's flower power at times, but that's no bad thing.

As per the post above, Yours in no Disgrace and Starship Trooper stand out, I've Seen All The Good People is pretty decent, the almost southern boogie from 3.30ish was certainly not signalled by the rest of the song. 

One thing about this album is that whilst I prefer the songs and arrangements musically, the bass appears nothing like as prominent a part of the Yes thing; it's high in the mix and very well played of course, it's just not the key instrument it became later. 

It's been worth the journey, thanks y'all :)

Slight revision, the whole album except The Clap, WTF is it doing there? Version if album I’m listening to has it twice also. Rest of album is sublime 

5 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

It's lovely! Light and shade, innit.

Absolutely! 

Considering that this time last week I couldn’t find a track by Yes that I liked the whole way through, finding a whole album - almost - that does the trick is progress for sure!

Perpetual Change seemed a weakfish song at first listen, might just be the stand out track now, the changes are pretty special :) 

Just now, Beedster said:

Absolutely! 

Considering that this time last week I couldn’t find a track by Yes that I liked the whole way through, finding a whole album - almost - that does the trick is progress for sure!

Perpetual Change seemed a weakfish song at first listen, might just be the stand out track now, the changes are pretty special :) 

Yep, loads of Yes songs are like that. Long Distance Runaround always sounded a bit twee to me, for example... but when the penny drops...

Give South Side of the Sky a bit of time - it's worth the effort.

Excellent progress. Close to the Edge, Awaken, And You & I and The Gates of Delirium lie in wait... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Yep, loads of Yes songs are like that. Long Distance Runaround always sounded a bit twee to me, for example... but when the penny drops...

Give South Side of the Sky a bit of time - it's worth the effort.

Excellent progress. Close to the Edge, Awaken, And You & I and The Gates of Delirium lie in wait... 🙂

I’m gonna buy the CD and give it a go through my tube hifi and ‘big’ speakers, that’s a ritual usually reserved for Nina Simone, Miles Davis, The Band and early Tom Waits (and Tribe Called Quest if the mood takes me). I’m mostly headphones these days 

So what have I learned? Don’t trust Apple playlists :) 

Thanks for your help Micheal 

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Until you reach Tales From Topographic Oceans at which point you”ll move swiftly on to Right Said Fred.

TfTO is a lot, but there’s a lot of good stuff in there. You should try it, but my advice is to pace yourself. Reviewers treated it like a standard album and tried to listen to the whole shebang in one sitting, which isn’t a good idea in my opinion. For example, The Remembering features some of Rick Wakeman’s all time best work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Slight revision, the whole album except The Clap, WTF is it doing there? Version if album I’m listening to has it twice also. Rest of album is sublime 

Sounds like you've heard the remaster with the bonus studio version of Clap. They weren't really happy with it so went with the live version - makes sense, the studio version is bone dry.

The Yes Album is absolutely my favourite album of all time, and also one of my favourite bass albums, unsurprisingly. It's the sound of a band starting to realise their genius, but still full of youthful exuberance and holding on to their poppier beginnings - arguably they wouldn't hit their instrumental peak until Wakeman joined but here Tony Kaye's earthy, grinding Hammond really grounds the band and holds them back from some of the whimsy to come.

A truly joyous album, with Squire's short bass solo in Starship Trooper - climbing up to briefly peek through the clouds - one of the most glorious sounds I've ever heard.

I also think Clap absolutely fits and the album flows perfectly. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bnt said:

TfTO is a lot, but there’s a lot of good stuff in there. You should try it, but my advice is to pace yourself. Reviewers treated it like a standard album and tried to listen to the whole shebang in one sitting, which isn’t a good idea in my opinion. For example, The Remembering features some of Rick Wakeman’s all time best work. 

Even my mate who was Yes's greatest fan warned me that Tales from Topo should only be approached with care, once you had acclimatised to their other albums (this was back in the 80s...)

Yeah - the best comparison I can think of is with classical music. TfTO is like four short Romantic / Impressionist  symphonies, and you don’t tend to listen to several of those in a row. The post above got me wanting to listen to the album again, which I just did: only the first album (two tracks) today.