Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

9 minutes ago, bnt said:

Case in point:

Donning my favourite Genesis geek outfit... if they'd have included Steve Hackett's* Inside and Out and excluded Mike Rutherford's* Your Own Special Way it would have been better. 

*No Charterhouse mafia band politics happening there was there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/10/2020 at 13:39, Angel said:

I love early to mid Yes

I love early to mid Rush

I love early to mid Genesis

I love early Marillion

I love all Pendragon

I love prog. It's my bestest music. Generally prog bands seem to have a sell by date though and for most it was a few decades ago.

I don't do much recommendation stuff but based on your list, if you are not familiar with them then maybe worth checking out Pallas, especially The Sentinel album

• Like 2

Oddly enough, it's often thought that women generally don't care for prog but both the previous and current incarnations of mrs Spiders like some prog among their diverse tastes, while I'm the big girl's blouse who tells them to turn that racket down. The current mrs has CDs by Yes, PFloyd and Gabriel era Genesis while the former had some Jethro Tull, Kate Bush and mid 70s Genesis and Peter Gabriel. OK I admit to having Virgin era Tangerine Dream stuff and Three of a Kind and Discipline by KC but they're not really prog are they?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bnt said:

Case in point:

My favourite Genesis era is probably TotT to ATTWT. I prefer the Seconds Out era band doing the PG stuff too. 
As mentioned elsewhere I’m not the biggest fan of the above track though; it’s ok, but doesn’t really light my touch paper. I recently found out it was Inspired by one of my favourite books from my teens, Phoenix in Obsidian by Michael Moorcock. Rather lacks the claustrophobic, doom-laden air though. 😉

• Like 1

I love OFTV. One of my favourite Genesis tracks and the one that made me realise that almost all of the tunes I prefer are Tony Banks compositions. I think A Curious Feeling is THE greatest Prog album ever. Have you heard this Genesis B-side? 

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

...and, back on-topic, I've just finished this DVD which I bought for a couple of quid off eBay.

I've read all the Yes books and that, but it adds a lot more and is surprisingly frank. Worth picking up.

s-l500.jpg

I can't wait for the updated version with final chapter. Any time soon please. 

7 hours ago, KevB said:

I don't do much recommendation stuff but based on your list, if you are not familiar with them then maybe worth checking out Pallas, especially The Sentinel album

Great band and all really nice guys too

I really enjoyed XXV 

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4000 said:

My favourite Genesis era is probably TotT to ATTWT. I prefer the Seconds Out era band doing the PG stuff too. 
As mentioned elsewhere I’m not the biggest fan of the above track though; it’s ok, but doesn’t really light my touch paper. I recently found out it was Inspired by one of my favourite books from my teens, Phoenix in Obsidian by Michael Moorcock. Rather lacks the claustrophobic, doom-laden air though. 😉

Have been listening to the Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited Album last few days and i'm quite enjoying it.

Suppers Ready for me is a very good rendition of the original or my preferred version from Seconds Out.

Worth a listen. Wasn't so keen on the 1st Revisited album. 

Looking at the Albert Hall live version where amazon short clips allow you to get an idea of how the album sounds

Dave  

On 03/10/2020 at 11:31, Beedster said:

Felt a bit like Rush but without the active ingredient, kinda like alcohol free beer? 

I can't read all of this, but Beedster, do you realize Geddy Lee was EXTREMELY influenced by Chris Squire? And all the high singing is Chris, above Jon.

• Like 3

Yes broke the mould really. They had a little skinny reedy voiced singer when macho hairy chested  screamers were the vogue. Steve Howe used a semi acoustic and a Fender combo rather than a Marshall stack and a Les Paul. They had a jazz drummer rather than a heavy 2 and 4 thumper, and Chris with his Rick and scooped tone.

10 hours ago, mikel said:

.....and Chris with his Rick and scooped tone.

It is an amazing thing to hear, must have been utterly groundbreaking in the day when you had either a nondescript thump or a middy and often distorted tone that sounded more like guitar. For me, as a newby to them, it's the bass parts AND the bass tone that are captivating 

Not an original composition but Lordy isn’t Chris’s tone and playing off the scale good on this track. Wonder if it’s his 21 fretter Rick on here ?

Steve Howes’ playing not too shabby either - well worth a listen.

Play LOUD ☺️

• Like 2