Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

15 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

I've always been a Rush fan and My drummer friend has recently been getting me into more modern prog with the likes of Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson's solo work.   I've never gotten around to listening to any Yes though it's been on my todo list for a while now!  This thread spurred me on and so I'm listening to Fragile right now (no idea if it's their best album but I recognised the most song titles).  

It's very of it's time but quite enjoyable to listen to. Loving Chris' tone and playing on this album!

Fragile is awesome!

All 'new' proggers are standing on the shoulders of giants. 

12 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

I've now been able to listen to that Bailey vid with the dancer that @Leonard Smalls posted.

Worthless shïte!   Anybody can do that!   He's taking the Mickey!   😁

Either:

a) You're not wrong

b) it's all on a level far deeper than any of us can understand

I tend toward a). especially having read the Derek Bailey autobiography. Though having read the Derek Bailey autobiography b) is also quite possible!

And here's a Yes live performance before production and overdubs 😄😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I love early to mid Yes

I love early to mid Rush

I love early to mid Genesis

I love early Marillion

I love all Pendragon

I love prog. It's my bestest music. Generally prog bands seem to have a sell by date though and for most it was a few decades ago.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Angel said:

I love early to mid Yes

I love early to mid Rush

I love early to mid Genesis

I love early Marillion

I love all Pendragon

I love prog. It's my bestest music. Generally prog bands seem to have a sell by date though and for most it was a few decades ago.

I kinda thought that too until i listened to IQ album Road of Bones 2014 which for me was their high point. Not bad for a band that's been around since circa 1980.

Genesis peaked at Seconds Out IMO.

Rush was Moving Pictures

Yes was Going For the One

Marillion i just remember the hits

Pink Floyd was DSOTM

Not to say that these bands all had some excellent albums after they peaked.

Dave

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I kinda thought that too until i listened to IQ album Road of Bones 2014 which for me was their high point. Not bad for a band that's been around since circa 1980.

Rush was Moving Pictures

Pink Floyd was DSOTM

Dave

Nah, WYWH is miles better than DSOTM. 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, prowla said:

I think Clockwork Angels is probably Rush’s best after Moving Pictures. 

I never quite got the ‘Back on form’ comments around CA. IMO it’s on a par with the last few albums, i.e. mediocre. And the terrible lyrics of The Wreckers loses it a few more points.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Rush was Moving Pictures

Pink Floyd was DSOTM

Dave

Genesis, Wind and Wuthering. Rush, Moving Pictures, Yes, Relayer, Marillion, ?, Pink Floyd, Animals. Cardiacs, Sing To God.

On 06/10/2020 at 17:24, Leonard Smalls said:

Either:

a) You're not wrong

b) it's all on a level far deeper than any of us can understand

I tend toward a). especially having read the Derek Bailey autobiography. Though having read the Derek Bailey autobiography b) is also quite possible!

And here's a Yes live performance before production and overdubs 😄😎

I've watched that about 10 times now and find it funnier each time. I laughed so much the first few times that I completely missed the parrots, in fact each time I watch it there's something new.

And no joke, the keys are EXACTLY the same as a keys player we had in the 80's, who would not only suddenly swamp the entire stage with unexpected and entirely unnecessary orchestral hits, but would do so with the most extraordinary flounce of his hand as if to say "hey everybody, look at me, I'm a virtuoso". He also accidentally set fire to my hair mid-gig at City of London Polytechnic but that's another story.  

Mr Smalls, thanks mate, I owe you one :)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I never quite got the ‘Back on form’ comments around CA. IMO it’s on a par with the last few albums, i.e. mediocre. And the terrible lyrics of The Wreckers loses it a few more points.

Different opinions, eh...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Or just different taste. Dark Side is undoubtedly a brilliant masterpiece yet I prefer WYWH.

Think the 2 Floyd albums have a different feel so its probably just down to your own personal taste or maybe even something as simple as what album you heard first. For me i heard DSOTM first and it amazed me. 

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think the 2 Floyd albums have a different feel so its probably just down to your own personal taste or maybe even something as simple as what album you heard first. For me i heard DSOTM first and it amazed me. 

Dave

Personal taste, exactly, the answer to most threads on BC. I heard DSOTM first and yet I have listened to WYWH more over the years, it's just personal preference. I never listened to anything by Yes after Relayer, never listened to any Genesis after Peter Gabriel left and I have never knowingly heard a track, let alone an album, by Rush.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Personal taste, exactly, the answer to most threads on BC. I heard DSOTM first and yet I have listened to WYWH more over the years, it's just personal preference. I never listened to anything by Yes after Relayer, never listened to any Genesis after Peter Gabriel left and I have never knowingly heard a track, let alone an album, by Rush.

Re: Post-Relayer Yes and post-Gabriel Genesis, How can you personally prefer something if you haven’t heard the alternative...?

You’re missing some iconic music there...

7 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Oddly enough my preferred era for Genesis was when PC took over up to Duke album. Was never really a fan of Gabriel era back in the day but have since gone back and listened to that era more as i got older.

With regards Yes i've never really been a huge fan just snippets in time. I occasionally suffer in Delirium while standing Close to the edge. Makes me very Fragile. :D

Dave

5 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Re: Post-Relayer Yes and post-Gabriel Genesis, How can you personally prefer something if you haven’t heard the alternative...?

You’re missing some iconic music there...

I didn't say I preferred pre-Relayer Yes, nor with-Gabriel Genesis, I just said I hadn't listened to them, I may well listen to these  in the future and might possibly like them, which is specifically why I didn't say I preferred them.

• Like 1