Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

On 03/10/2020 at 17:28, Beedster said:

I’m guessing they’re an acquired taste? 

Then try this Yes cover (link to the Yes cover of their song "Long Distance Runaround" by the Danish band A Kid Hereafter on the streaming service Spotify) :

https://open.spotify.com/album/4rqOY9C9r8zmyPyofPLSf9?highlight=spotify:track:2aRewOdSG47NGyhuFW5FTu

In my opinion no less than a phenomenal cover, and as far as I am concerned better than the original version.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

@Woodinblack, my beef is not with some saying Bailey has no value TO THEM. My beef is with people saying he has no value full stop.
An average Swedish "dansband" musician (simplistic three-chord music, IMHO without any redeeming originality) stating that Bach has no value whatsoever is very different to the same musician saying he doesn't like Bach, or that Bach doesn't give him anything.

I guess in this, we're on the same side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Then try this Yes cover (link to the Yes cover of their song "Long Distance Runaround" by the Danish band A Kid Hereafter on the streaming service Spotify) :

I don't have Spotify, so I could only see the version on youtube, which was live. Its quite well done and an interesting cover version, but not quite up there for me (even with other cover versions I have seen). Maybe the spotify version is a studio or something.

8 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

@Woodinblack, my beef is not with some saying Bailey has no value TO THEM. My beef is with people saying he has no value full stop.

I am obviously in no position to say that, as long as someone has value to someone, they have value.

8 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

An average Swedish "dansband" musician (simplistic three-chord music, IMHO without any redeeming originality) stating that Bach has no value whatsoever is very different to the same musician saying he doesn't like Bach, or that Bach doesn't give him anything.

I guess in this, we're on the same side.

Yep.

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't have Spotify, so I could only see the version on youtube, which was live. Its quite well done and an interesting cover version, but not quite up there for me (even with other cover versions I have seen). Maybe the spotify version is a studio or something.

The one I linked to is a studio version, yeah, and that sounds phenomenal, haven't watched the YouTube live version, so can't really say how close that is to the studio version, but I suspect not nearly as sharp and well sounding. 

You can use Spotify for free though if you just sign up, though there will be commercial breaks every now and then between songs, not in the middle of long songs and not between every song you hear, like on YouTube, and they got most music that was ever released.

If you pay a monthly subscription you can use it without commercials and got the option for streaming in a good deal higher than YouTube resolution. 

7 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The one I linked to is a studio version, yeah, and that sounds phenomenal, haven't watched the YouTube live version, so can't really say how close that is to the studio version, but I suspect not nearly as sharp and well sounding. 

You can use Spotify for free though if you just sign up, though there will be commercial breaks every now and then between songs, not in the middle of long songs and not between every song you hear, like on YouTube, and they got most music that was ever released.

Yes, I know spotify, and even have an account somewhere but I have forgotten the login for it. I have apple music though so found it on there. Certainly better than the live version (which was largely drums) but can't say I am a fan. Really dislike the vocals, so its hard to appreciate the music that much but I found the timing of the track off (especially on the vocals, but even before that). Obviously I can't say whether the timing would have annoyed me if I had never heard the original and I think it is probably as I have played that with a few bands, so have a big familiarity with it that it grates so much.

But even without that, if you don't like the vocals I am guessing it isn't going to work

8 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Ok, then try this, one of my favorite acts, and one of my favorite YouTube concerts (and yes, they are all  acclaimed and extremely skilled jazz musicians) :

I will take your word for it. I would say we lack a common framework in our understanding of music!

It's Brilliant, And That's A Fact
A short one-act play

{Scene: stage is dark except for a spot-lit desk bearing a laptop. A person is sat at the desk, typing a message on a music forum.}

A: "I've never really heard band/genre X, so I gave it a shot the other day. Didn't like it at all."

{A second spotlight falls on another desk and laptop, with another person typing a reply.}

B: "Are you mad? Band/genre X is completely brilliant and anyone who doesn't like them/it has got cloth ears."

{A third spotlight falls on another desk and laptop, positioned face to face with the second desk. A third person sits typing a reply.}

C; "Nah, band/genre X is rubbish. Absolute garbage."
B: "No it's not."
C; "Yes it is. You can't even dance to it."
B: "Yes you can."

{spotlight over desk A starts to fade as the typing of persons B and C intensifies in agitation}

C; "No you can't. Way overrated."
C; "Yes it is."
C; "Yes it is."

{spotlight over desk A brightens slightly}

A: {typing hesitantly} "I might give it another try, see if it will grow on me..." 
C; "I wouldn't bother, it won't."
B: "Yes it will."

{the typing of persons B and C gradually intensifies in weight and agitation}

C; "No it won't."
A: "sigh."

{spotlight over desk A fades to black}

C; "No it won't."
C; "No it won't."

{curtain slowly begins to fall}

B: "And so on."
C; "And so forth."
both B and C; "Arrrgh."

{fade to darkness, curtain falls}

Edited by Rich

1 minute ago, Rich said:

A short one-act play

{Scene: stage is dark except for a spot-lit desk bearing a laptop. A person is sat at the desk, typing a message on a music forum.}

A: "I've never really heard band/genre X, so I gave it a shot the other day. Didn't like it at all."

{A second spotlight falls on another desk and laptop, with another person typing a reply.}

B: "Are you mad? Band/genre X is completely brilliant and anyone who doesn't like {band/genre} has got cloth ears."

{A third spotlight falls on another desk and laptop, positioned face to face with the second desk. A third person sits typing a reply.}

{spotlight over desk A starts to fade as the typing of persons B and C intensifies in agitation}

C; "Yes it is."
C; "Yes it is."

A: {typing hesitantly} "I might give it another try, see if it will grow on me..." 

C; "No it won't."

C; "No it won't."
C; "No it won't."

C; "And so forth."
both B and C; "Arrrgh."

Well as the OP (A) I’ve found it useful, and without the tendency towards the above format we’d have no need for a bass forum really :)

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

A short one-act play

B: "Are you mad? Band/genre X is completely brilliant and anyone who doesn't like them/it has got cloth ears."

C; "Yes it is."
C; "Yes it is."

C; "No it won't."

C; "No it won't."
C; "No it won't."

C; "And so forth."
both B and C; "Arrrgh."

Or how to start a row on 'tinterweb. 

• Haha 1

For some odd reason I thought this was about the OP listening to YES and not really getting them.

How did we manage to get on to weird jazz. ?:facepalm:

We should start a BC side-track thread just to see where & what we get into. :laugh1: 

As bassists we seem to have a tendency to drift away from the main theme. Hope we don't all do that in a band setting. Aaaahh that's where the weird jazz comes in. Now i get it. :laugh1:

Dave

56 minutes ago, Rich said:

C; "No it won't."
C; "No it won't."

C; "And so forth."
both B and C; "Arrrgh."

{curtain rises}

D, E, F; You are not discussing the original subject, stop it!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Ok, then try this, one of my favorite acts, and one of my favorite YouTube concerts (and yes, they are all  acclaimed and extremely skilled jazz musicians, even legends on the experimental-/avantgarde-/free- jazz scene) :...

That's a warning that not all drugs are good for creativity. -_-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

That's a warning that not all drugs are good for creativity. -_-

I'd argue quite on the contrary!

That concert/video is a genuine display of raw creativity in it's absolute purest primal essence, tapped directly from it's primordial divine source. 

Also extremely life-affirming to see relatively elderly people (with the exeption of Bill Lasswel, at that point) still being capable of breaking free from all reins and restrictions and go absolutely berserk in ultimate devotion to whatever the chaos of each given moment might throw at them and bring. 

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

... breaking free from all reins and restrictions and go absolutely berserk in ultimate devotion to whatever the chaos of each given moment might throw at them and bring. 

Yes, I get that, too, when I can reach the buckles. :|

:lol: :P

@Dad3353, @Woodinblack etc.
People's comments on the offtopicness notwithstanding, I've now been able to listen to that Bailey vid with the dancer that @Leonard Smalls posted.

Worthless shïte!   Anybody can do that!   He's taking the Mickey!   😁
Seriously: I can hear absolutely nothing of value to me here, except maybe the obvious shamisen reference.
It's also not the Derek Bailey as I remember him from 35 or 40 years ago, if that makes sense.

My point remains: a Yes album you don't like is not necessarily without value. A Bach fugue you don't like is not necessarily a worthless composition. Etc. etc.
Only blues music is worthless. 😁 :ph34r:

• Haha 2

I've always been a Rush fan and My drummer friend has recently been getting me into more modern prog with the likes of Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson's solo work.   I've never gotten around to listening to any Yes though it's been on my todo list for a while now!  This thread spurred me on and so I'm listening to Fragile right now (no idea if it's their best album but I recognised the most song titles).  

It's very of it's time but quite enjoyable to listen to. Loving Chris' tone and playing on this album!