Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

Just now, wateroftyne said:

I believe this is key to the enjoyment of Yes.

In that case I'm most certainly not part of the target market!

Last thing I want to hear is somebody warbling about Dungeons and Dragons at a frequency only dogs and adolescent boys can hear 😎😁

Proper lyrics go something like this:

Said, "I go by the name of Lois Lane
And you could be my boyfriend, you surely can
Just let me quit my boyfriend called Superman"
I said, "He's a fairy, I do suppose
Flyin' through the air in pantyhose
He may be very sexy or even cute
But he looks like a sucker in a blue and red suit"
I said, "You need a man who's got finesse
And his whole name across his chest
He may be able to fly all through the night
But can he rock a party 'til the early light?
He can't satisfy you with his little worm
But I can bust you out with my super sperm!"
I gon' do it, I gon' do it, I gon' do it, do it, do it

🤩

31 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

In that case I'm most certainly not part of the target market!

Last thing I want to hear is somebody warbling about Dungeons and Dragons at a frequency only dogs and adolescent boys can hear 😎😁

Proper lyrics go something like this:

Said, "I go by the name of Lois Lane
And you could be my boyfriend, you surely can
Just let me quit my boyfriend called Superman"
I said, "He's a fairy, I do suppose
Flyin' through the air in pantyhose
He may be very sexy or even cute
But he looks like a sucker in a blue and red suit"
I said, "You need a man who's got finesse
And his whole name across his chest
He may be able to fly all through the night
But can he rock a party 'til the early light?
He can't satisfy you with his little worm
But I can bust you out with my super sperm!"
I gon' do it, I gon' do it, I gon' do it, do it, do it

🤩

You misunderstand me.. IMO, not listening to the lyrics is key to the enjoyment of Yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Used to rinse the 'Fragile' album as a teenage aspiring bass player, Squire was very impressive.  Tried listening to them again last year, didn't like them at all!  And I thought prog was something you appreciate more as you get older.  Still enjoy the ARW videos however, nice to see such intricate music played live so expertly.

Nobody (not even Jon Anderson) knows what Yes lyrics are about.

They are often just random words which paint some kind of abstract picture.

(Mind you, a lot of lyrics are like that.)

As for goblins (or other wee folk), Olias is going to be your best bet.

7 minutes ago, prowla said:

Nobody (not even Jon Anderson) knows what Yes lyrics are about.

They are often just random words which paint some kind of abstract picture.

I always viewed yes lyrics as just another instrument, like a series of vocalisations.

(Mind you, a lot of lyrics are like that.)

Yep. Heard a french busker singing Zombie in a subway in montreal once, it was fascinating. She obviously didn't speak english or even have any idea what the words were, but she had reduced the song to basically a series of sylabels, so she was doing the chorus as 'ee-or-ed'. Worked fine, I still sing it like that.

As for goblins (or other wee folk), Olias is going to be your best bet.

Not a Yes album though, just a solo album. And I am not convinced there were actually goblins, although there probably should have been!

Yes, of course they're all totally abstract and about goblins.... here's an excerpt from a yes song

Julie's sick and tired of her job 'n all the reasons lately
She took it out on God and laid her soul to hell and let the baby die
Julie's child was born without a need or a reason for being
She took it as a message from a real and distant life
Shirley gets to help her with the child though she's strung out on crack time
Shirley never knew what it was to be held in real love
Together getting high to get to mess up their night
Anything to get up so they're losing their mind
Just to get high, breaking out from this life, gotta get them a drug to get higher

I've never been a huge fan of Yes but i liked Close To the Edge in its day but can't really listen to it now. My fav album of theirs is Going For The One. For me the production on that particular album sounded better than the others.

I do like Gates of Delirium but i need to be in the right mood for it. Some parts of Close to the Edge i can listen to now and again.

Oddly enough when i come across them when sifting thru Youtube clips i always enjoy them.

I really like Jon Anderson's voice.

Did see them as Yeggles in Glasgow. Was good but not quite the same.

Dave

29 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Is it me or did Rush sing more about Goblins and whatnot than Yes?

Probably! Though I prefer Rush to Yes, despite Geddy's voice - simply because there's far less of The-Worst-Of-Fusion with them.

At least in fusion you only have to sit through the annoying stop-start chords and keyboard flurries for a bit before it gets meaty and grooving, unlike Yes where you have to sit through what feels like hours of it, then to make matters worse there's that terrible wailing like a calf being castrated for another 3 eons before your 2 minutes of The Good Stuff. I mean, if they just did The Good Stuff without the filler and That Singing they'd be tolerable. Not groovy enough, but tolerable!

In fact, thinking about it, perhaps it would have been better if he did sing about goblins a bit more - at least it'd be less po-faced!

• Like 1

As you say, Yes is for people who don't dance. Or understand what it is to dance. Or what you would actually do if you wanted to dance; I remember 'em at school discos, with their pristine denim jackets their mum had sewed a Yes patch on, looking absolutely mortified if Sarah Jones came up and said "come 'ed'n'dance wiv us!".

However, us young punkers would also be suitably appalled if said Sarah asked us - mainly because in those days, as a wannabe cool newpunkwaver with our homemade bumflaps, you didn't dance to Oops Upside Your Head because it was Deeply Uncool. But jumping up and down to "Saturday Night Under A Plastic Palm Tree" somehow was... (It wasn't really!)

14 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

However, us young punkers would also be suitably appalled if said Sarah asked us - mainly because in those days, as a wannabe cool newpunkwaver with our homemade bumflaps, you didn't dance to Oops Upside Your Head because it was Deeply Uncool. But jumping up and down to "Saturday Night Under A Plastic Palm Tree" somehow was... (It wasn't really!)

But jumping up and down to the Guns of Navarone was 🙂

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've never been a huge fan of Yes but i liked Close To the Edge in its day but can't really listen to it now. My fav album of theirs is Going For The One. For me the production on that particular album sounded better than the others.

I do like Gates of Delirium but i need to be in the right mood for it. Some parts of Close to the Edge i can listen to now and again.

Oddly enough when i come across them when sifting thru Youtube clips i always enjoy them.

I really like Jon Anderson's voice.

Did see them as Yeggles in Glasgow. Was good but not quite the same.

Dave

That’s weird, I love Going For The One but I think it has the worst production of all the ‘70s albums. 

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Is it me or did Rush sing more about Goblins and whatnot than Yes? The Necromancer, ByTor and the Snow Dog, even Rivendell, FFS. 

Abso frickin’ lutely. Back of the net. 😂

Edited by 4000

59 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I like music you can dance to. I also like Prog and Jazz. But I like The best of Prog and Jazz better, for the most part. 

BTW, if you want elves and goblins, Zep and Heep are your boys. 

So spoke the Wizard in his Mountain home. 

The Vision of his wisdom means we'll never be alone :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1